Clowns attacking new Labouti Wrasse

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's right! The clowns are attacking my new 4" labouti wrasse and he is so stressed and hides these past 3 days to the point where he now has popeye. Im just going to leave him alone but what is the odds that the Clowns will eventually let him be and realize that he is not a threat? the guy is 1.5X the size of the female perc. Should I risk taking my labouti out and into quarantine or do you think the clowns will chill in time? He didn't eat yesterday but the day before he ate.

Thanks guys!

Don't want to lose such a beautiful fish

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an acclimation box. You could try moving the scape around and leaving the lights off but an acclimation box to either put the clowns in or the wrasse would be your best bet.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?
My tank is a 55 but the clowns usually stay to the right half of the aquarium until I put the wrasse in. Now it seems they are patrolling the entire tank like the British guard!

You need an acclimation box. You could try moving the scape around and leaving the lights off but an acclimation box to either put the clowns in or the wrasse would be your best bet.

I can most likely catch the clowns easier as I have done it before. How long should I keep them in the acclimation box? Probly a week to make the wrasse feel safer and bolder?? Also will a plastic strainer double as an acclimation box!? And should I put a coral insert in there with them if I plan on keeping them in there for an extended period of time??

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the acclimation box...I don't add any fish anymore without using one. I picked up an acrylic fish trap online which doubles as an acclimation box :)

I minds as well put one of my nems in the box with the clowns too! Maybe the suckers will finally host one of my 7 BTAs... :mad:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's right! The clowns are attacking my new 4" labouti wrasse and he is so stressed and hides these past 3 days to the point where he now has popeye. Im just going to leave him alone but what is the odds that the Clowns will eventually let him be and realize that he is not a threat? the guy is 1.5X the size of the female perc. Should I risk taking my labouti out and into quarantine or do you think the clowns will chill in time? He didn't eat yesterday but the day before he ate.

Thanks guys!

Don't want to lose such a beautiful fish
What kind of clowns? Also no, I doubt they stop the attack although it's possible. A very territorial clownfish typically retains that behavior and in fact I would say they're likely to become more aggressive.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clowns? Also no, I doubt they stop the attack although it's possible. A very territorial clownfish typically retains that behavior and in fact I would say they're likely to become more aggressive.

I have regular Percs! I black and white female almost 3" and a 2" platinum. The 2" platinum male is scarred of the wrasse but he joins in on attacking him as long as the female is with him. They are ruthless! I think I am going to capture them, put them in an acclimation box, and throw a nem in there. Hopefully that way if they learn to live in the presence of the nem they will stay near the nem once I re introduce to the rest of the tank and by that time hopefully the wrasse will be strong enough to defend it's self again. OPPERATION SAVE THE $250 FISH!

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only need all these guys to survive till next summer when I upgrade tanks anyways!

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video I posted of my new wrasse in an acclimation box after QT. This is why I'm such a huge advocate for acclimation boxes. You can see the aggression by otherwise peaceful wrasse species already in the DT. Now they don't look twice at each other. The aggressive territorial behavior of clowns in general is why I don't keep them, but especially with peaceful tank mates. Acclimate, acclimate, acclimate. Let's all say it together. LOL.
Good luck with your situation. I would actually separate the clowns into an acclimation box if possible and allow the Labouti to become acclimated to the larger DT and fattened up before reintroducing the clowns, if at all. Whatever it takes, save that Labouti!

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the box on wrasses, they tend to beat there face and mouth up easily. To many times I've seen a wrasse go through qt, into the acclimation box and get scared and dive for the bottom, and stop eating.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH cant see the video since I'm at a DOD office right now!. But when I get home I'm going to take two 4"x4" plastic containers and cut plenty of holes into them that will allow food and flow to go through. I will capture these devils and put them each in a separate container for a week or so to let the wrasse become more confident and healthy. I will take pictures to show my progress!

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the box on wrasses, they tend to beat there face and mouth up easily. To many times I've seen a wrasse go through qt, into the acclimation box and get scared and dive for the bottom, and stop eating.

I agree the wrasse is way more fragile than the clowns are and they are hyper so Ill put the clowns in the DIY acclimation boxes

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking of using dobbers on each end of the plastic containers to keep them afloat, thought?

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the clowns in your sump for a few days, let the wrasse settle and return then to the display.
er... I don't have a sump yet :confused: that was another thread that I opened up! I'm going to make one as a winter project and show how I do it as well

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's why boxes with a white bottom are the only ones I use.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's why boxes with a white bottom are the only ones I use.

Do I need to put a white bottom with the clownfish? I sort of want the bottom to be see through that way my corals underneath wont be shaded from the light

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to put a white bottom with the clownfish? I sort of want the bottom to be see through that way my corals underneath wont be shaded from the light
With the clowns, probably not.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back