HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We definitely expect a detailed orphek review :D

I had a setup issue with the light, but their support thru James @Orphek is pretty awesome. I worked with him on my lightbar awhile back and while I waited months for the GEN2 to be in stock at BRS. He is one of the good guys. The Altantik is all good now.

Haven't done a PAR test, but initial reactions are pretty awesome. From the BRS video, I was hoping I'd like the color of everything at 100%. That gives you the upside of utilizing the full power, unlike the Mitras where 3 channels are running < 50% and a lot of an somewhat under-powered fixture gets lost (especially when combined with thermal + power-balancing problems of Mitras).

I like the Atlantik with all channels 100%! It suits me just fine. The GHL is a spread monster. There is something about that fixture that made my entire room feel blue. I was hoping the Orphek's light was contained to the tank (less spread), so far so good.

Don't want to jinx myself, but I might finally be happy with lighting after two years!

EDIT: I may bring the blue down 10-20%

Last edited:

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your liking the fixture! I started out runnning with the exact BRS tweaked schedule at 14” above the water on a 3 foot long tank. Wound up lowering the light to 12” and over time dropped channel 4 down to 30% and channel 1 to 40%. I liked the color rendition a little more at these levels but thats obviously a personnel preference... My SPS do seem happier with more PE and my euphylia looked happier as well. Theyre plumper and sweepers out with more regularity.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your liking the fixture! I started out runnning with the exact BRS tweaked schedule at 14” above the water on a 3 foot long tank. Wound up lowering the light to 12” and over time dropped channel 4 down to 30% and channel 1 to 40%. I liked the color rendition a little more at these levels but thats obviously a personnel preference... My SPS do seem happier with more PE and my euphylia looked happier as well. Theyre plumper and sweepers out with more regularity.

Thank you. I'll try out that program. I suspect the corals would be happier with something a bit bluer than I want to run. Really excited to see corals under this fixture. Soon...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I'll try out that program. I suspect the corals would be happier with something a bit bluer than I want to run. Really excited to see corals under this fixture. Soon...
Soon...

:)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The move happened today. Rearrange later, most things look happy.

IMG_20180721_154420.jpg

IMG_20180721_173458.jpg

@justingraham is picking up the Reefer 170 next weekend.

IMG_20180721_154413.jpg

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tuned in your Orphek, yet?

They have a built-in one week acclimation program that ramps up to 100% on all channels, so doing that now.

I need to break out the PAR meter to ensure they don't get nuked, but the thought is to run blue in the morning and evenings, and flat out 100% on all channels during majority of the day. My previous schedule was 45m ramp up morning & night, with full power for 9hr. I'll probably do something similar.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Looks Great, I like were you placed it..... And all that trim work in your home is Awesome!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a Pretty picture ...Do you have a filter on the camera or is that your lights? Corals look great!

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a Pretty picture ...Do you have a filter on the camera or is that your lights? Corals look great!

Thank you!

That's just the one button Google's camera app "fix brightness". It looked a bit fake, but also closer to the truth than the initial image and I just went with it. I'll break out the real camera and take some pictures this weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back