Coast to Coast + FramingTech Custom 80

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 26" tall tank, had a target was 300-450 for SPS in top half. As high as I can push it without hurting acans/lobos on the floor. With a 20" tall tank, I couldn't do that with Mitras.

From research, I knew the Radions were 2x the Mitras on PAR. I went with Orphek because I wanted less spill, more even color + less shade, and it appeared their LED choices better suited my color preference. The color on that BRS video really sold me, every led at 100% looked good to me, compared to other fixtures where you run 2-4 channels at < 30%.

EDIT: Plus, Orphek's US customer service is great.
Well Geese you sold me:) Question How well do the colors mix? any poka-dots on the sand?

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Geese you sold me:) Question How well do the colors mix? any poka-dots on the sand?

Lighting is highly personal, so I'm hesitant to recommend anything too strongly. There are many that work. My original plan was T5 hybrid, but the Giesmann Aurora is very PAR limited and didn't find a fixture I liked.

My original AI prime had disco balls, but neither the GHL nor Atlantik display poka-dots. The floor definitely looks different than a Kessil (a unique look), but no disco ball.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The move happened today. Rearrange later, most things look happy.

IMG_20180721_154420.jpg

IMG_20180721_173458.jpg

@justingraham is picking up the Reefer 170 next weekend.

IMG_20180721_154413.jpg
That tank is a stunner, especially the hallway picture Mike.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is highly personal, so I'm hesitant to recommend anything too strongly.
I hear ya on that one!!

Almost pulled the trigger on the Giesemann Futura-S led, before the a80/t5 mod, but like the Aquatic Critter said:
I'd have to deal with Coralvue if the thing broke :(

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes and no.

I like to reading build threads, especially ones that I have have R2R relationship with;)

Now over on you thread yesterday;Stig;Woot

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to deal with Coralvue if the thing broke

I had one experience with them when my Gyre stopped working after 4 months of use. After a short phone call, they sent me a new controller and I was up and running withing 48h of the call. I couldn't have asked for better customer service. I felt pretty fortunate at the time.

I have two aqamai kps powerheads from last years NY RAP. Both dead, both under warranty, yet they never replied to any of my emails. Been sitting in a garbage bag in the closet the last 8+ months.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! that Bad?...I sent them a email once on a new product that was defective..never received a reply
Yeah, That bad
After I did the a80 mod, I was not sure it would do the job.

So I asked Coralvue about the Furtura-S
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/giesemann-futura-s-help.303506/

Look at my post date and Coralvue's response date.

The owner of The Aquatic Critter has seen the Furtura-S, in a family's home in Europe, and says it's the top dog on his list, but he knows about Coralvue too.

:(

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, That bad
After I did the a80 mod, I was not sure it would do the job.

So I asked Coralvue about the Furtura-S
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/giesemann-futura-s-help.303506/

Look at my post date and Coralvue's response date.

The owner of The Aquatic Critter has seen the Furtura-S, in a family's home in Europe, and says it's the top dog on his list, but he knows about Coralvue too.

:(
Lol...it took them 3 months to answer a query. Orphek took 3 weeks including customisation to delivery from Hongkong...:D:D:D

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...it took them 3 months to answer a query. Orphek took 3 weeks including customisation to delivery from Hongkong...:D:D:D

+1 James @ Orphek has been great.

Usually there's just one guy behind most of these companies. He leaves, gets replaced or quits, or they hire a new great one can change everything.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Usually there's just one guy behind most of these companies. He leaves, gets replaced or quits, or they hire a new great one can change everything.
Yup, he is great. Right now I just started using there light bar because I wish to see how they are overall in all aspect. My current opinion is their built quality and customer service both are outstanding. How they affect my system that I will know in couple of months.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds great and sorry for the hi-jack.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i might be a bit slow, but I’ve just realised that this is the new build thread, and what a great build thread it is! Lol

I’ve finally caught up and now following along. I wondered were everyone had gone! Lol

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i might be a bit slow, but I’ve just realised that this is the new build thread, and what a great build thread it is! Lol

I’ve finally caught up and now following along. I wondered were everyone had gone! Lol

Don't feel bad, I was thinking the same as of yesterday... ;Happy;Happy

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad, I was thinking the same as of yesterday... ;Happy;Happy
So was I... until I read that the Red Sea was shut down and transfer was completed.
@HolisticBear I enjoyed a wonderful evening yesterday reading this thread from the beginning.
The aluminium stand is great and the tank scape is spot on.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is highly personal, so I'm hesitant to recommend anything too strongly. There are many that work. My original plan was T5 hybrid, but the Giesmann Aurora is very PAR limited and didn't find a fixture I liked.

My original AI prime had disco balls, but neither the GHL nor Atlantik display poka-dots. The floor definitely looks different than a Kessil (a unique look), but no disco ball.

I will continue this on my journal, I need to do some reading about the Araura, there are reasons that it should work for me! ;)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will continue this on my journal, I need to do some reading about the Araura, there are reasons that it should work for me! ;)

Here's the post that caught my eye. Seeing low 200 just a few inches below the water, made it not work for me. I was hyper-sensitive since the Mitras at full power do 385 at the surface; I'd been frustrated getting 250+ to my corals for the last year. Didn't want a repeat. It is a beautiful fixture, it might work for you. But to be that expensive and have probably 1/3 the power of a your own T5/LED hybrid seems unfortunate.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the post that caught my eye. Seeing low 200 just a few inches below the water, made it not work for me. I was hyper-sensitive since the Mitras at full power do 385 at the surface; I'd been frustrated getting 250+ to my corals for the last year. Didn't want a repeat. It is a beautiful fixture, it might work for you. But to be that expensive and have probably 1/3 the power of a your own T5/LED hybrid seems unfortunate.

Sure, but some of the best growers out there use very little par in their growth. And I'm not talking about some dude who has a tank in his house, I'm talking about people who rely on growth to feed their family. If high par was the answer, then why are some the best of the best running specifically LOW par?

- Vivid aquatics took par readings of their 800g show tank. They're barely getting 250 at the surface. Their average Acro colony is sitting at 175 PAR or so

- WWC runs a modified AB+ setting with their lighting at 60% max, and their lights 2' off the water surface (2 feet, not a typo). That's like 200 PAR or less

- Steve Garret runs a 1300g and 900g outdoor SPS prop tank, and has shaders on his tank to keep par at 400 max at surface of water, average of only 250 PAR or less throughout the tank.

- The people who created the AB+ program only run their SPS at about 175 or less PAR.

Of course I can list just as many who run their lights at 100% and run twice as many fixtures as average. Both groups swear their lighting is the reason why their corals do well. Unfortunately in this hobby, nothing is as simple as black and white. It's all gray buddy ;)

Edit: A word

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 166 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back