colossal_tater's 3ft x 2ft Shallow Acro Reef

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two years of my 40 breeder running, I moved everything over to a 125 gallon. The 125 has been running for almost a year now, but I got the itch for another smallish tank. I've been getting into acros the past year and I loved the idea of a shallow reef tank with all acros. No sacrifices for a full mixed reef like in my 125, just tons of light and flow. So come along for the ride if you're interested!

This tank will be focused on creating a beautiful acro dominated shallow reef. The location I want it in my house doesn't really have great viewing angles. The position is in kind of a walkway next to some stairs. So for that reason, I'm wanting to focus on creating an amazing top down view. I'll be doing this through the aquascape of course, but also by having a single button to press to slow the pumps for a few minutes, a very short stand, and enough clearance above the tank to pop your head in whenever you want.

Goals (will talk about these in future responses to this thread)
  • Have an acro dominated tank with some supporting corals
  • Create a beautiful top down and front view for 2ft x 3ft shallow tank
  • Create a tank that invites you to easily look top down into it
  • Make it easy to frag acros and keep the acros growing in a shape I want

Current Picture: May 28, 2022
IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

OP
OP
colossal_tater

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been good about updating as I go, but I'm about 90% there, I have all parts in hand except the tank. I plan on having water running before the new year since I only have a few things left:

1. Finish the stand - I did a tslot stand that I planned myself and then ordered from tnutz.com. It's awesome! It's very short at 26" high because I want to be able to easily look into the tank top down. There's not really any room to sit in front of this tank because it's near the top of a set of stairs. I made panels out of 3/4 plywood to skin it and painted purple. I need to assemble everything and put it in place.

IMG_2805.jpg

2. Pickup the tank from Glass Cages and drill the overflow - I live a couple hours from them. I got a custom 38"x24"x16" tall rimless with low iron glass and seam guards. It will have a modular marine overflow on the short side that sits against the wall. I'll have a single 3/4" return on that same short side. The back will be clear similar to @SunnyX tanks and the short side with the overflow will be painted black. So will the bottom, as this tank will be bare bottom.

3. Setup all the equipment - I'm using an old DIY 20 gallon long sump. I'll have 2 MP40s for flow and a single DC return pump I have from a previous tank. I have an old apex classic and EB8 that I'll also be setting up. I'm using a gravity fed ATO with a float valve to honor Jake Adams. My fish closet sits on the same wall as this tank and there is attic space behind the wall. So I can easily run 1/4" lines (or whatever I want, really) to the tank.

4. Get water running! - Self explanatory

Back