Community Tank Compatibility

Jestroh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm starting a new 125 gallon reef tank. I'll be transferring a few fish from 2 other tanks and adding a few new fish. I've checked out some
compatability charts and I believe everything checks out, but I wanted to be sure and see if anyone sees any potential issues with these species. Or has any advice.

DaVinci Clown pair

Tailspotted Blenny

Firefish

Clown goby

Neon clown goby

5 bangaii cardinalfish

Yellow damselfish

Royal Gramma

Diamond spotted goby

Purple dottyback

Maybe a flasher wrasse?

Mandarin (with plenty of copopod habitat in the tank)

Eventually 1 yellow tang and 1 hippo tang when the tank is well established.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any issues.
However every fish has its own personality.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any issues except with the Hippo Tang at a later date. I think for a small specimen (4-6”) this may be efficient room but IMHO they do need 8’ of tank in the long run - Don’t get me wrong some people can keep them healthy and happy in 6’ tanks but it’s a bit of work and very open rockwork in most cases.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a tang I would recommend a bristletooth - they much smaller in comparison. Not the same pop of color as a hippo tang though.

as far as your stocking list - I would be nervous about the dotty back and the gramma. With 125g you should be fine, but dottybacks can always be risky.

Damsels are damsels - they can get territorial but in a large tank you should be fine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a tang I would recommend a bristletooth - they much smaller in comparison. Not the same pop of color as a hippo tang though.

as far as your stocking list - I would be nervous about the dotty back and the gramma. With 125g you should be fine, but dottybacks can always be risky.

Damsels are damsels - they can get territorial but in a large tank you should be fine.
+1 to this, especially with the tang! I love Ctenochaetus tangs due to them being mellow in temper making it so much easier to add fish in after them.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm starting a new 125 gallon reef tank. I'll be transferring a few fish from 2 other tanks and adding a few new fish. I've checked out some
compatability charts and I believe everything checks out, but I wanted to be sure and see if anyone sees any potential issues with these species. Or has any advice.

DaVinci Clown pair

Tailspotted Blenny

Firefish

Clown goby

Neon clown goby

5 bangaii cardinalfish

Yellow damselfish

Royal Gramma

Diamond spotted goby

Purple dottyback

Maybe a flasher wrasse?

Mandarin (with plenty of copopod habitat in the tank)

Eventually 1 yellow tang and 1 hippo tang when the tank is well established.
Fish will be fish :)

It's really up to the individual fish whether they get along, and I've had a dottyback kill a royal gramma.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a dotty back I would recommend a Yellow Candy Hog

Similar body shape, very social, colorful and way more peaceful

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a dotty back I would recommend a Yellow Candy Hog

Similar body shape, very social, colorful and way more peaceful
Wouldn’t do a Candy hog as actually hogfish are some nightmares of the Labrids. I’d recommend the much more peaceful Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Pseudojuloides.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Candy Hog is a little different though - not nearly as aggressive as some of the larger hogs and they’re much smaller.

it does all come down to the fish though - some are chill, some are nightmares
Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend a hogfish to anyone wanting a community tank though as actually they are worse than Dottybacks even if they’re peaceful.

Back