OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive!
Have you planned out the rest of the build? Sump, pumps, powerheads, lights, actively cycling rock?
When are you looking to leak test her?

Thanks brother.

I have a loose plan with all the equipment, but so far I have:

A sump gifted to me from a friend. No idea the brand of size. The sump is going in the boiler room with 4 other water heaters so I will see if I need a heater. I might want to use roller mats instead of socks later on.
image.jpg

7 stage RODI
image.jpg

Ghost Overflow
image.jpg

20lb of reefsaver dry rock
image.jpg

If water holds I will be over the moon and purchase these for when I cycle:

Neptune Apex (with sensors)
Neptune auto top off
COR20 return
More dry rock
Two power heads (not settled on this but I am considering the apex power heads. I only want power heads on the rear of the tank since it is a peninsula)

If it doesn’t hold water then all this is just going to be a fancy fantasy lol

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build and amazing ambition!
You could fill the void with these, might look really cool under actinics?

Hahah that would be cool! the void is only about 1/2 thick though and if it works I wanted to find a way to aquascape rock onto the entire column so it looks intentional.

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heading to Mayalsia / Borneo for some free diving and catching up with friends.

I will return September 8 and by then I’m sure it will all be fully cured.

September 9 with me the day she gets water
hahaha

I’m really excited either way to see if this crazy idea works. Maybe I will start a poll or something for Leak or No Leak lol

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really awesome ambitious project. When I first started to read this I was thinking wow this guy is off his rocker! However, as I see the build progress I see that you have put lots of time and effort into researching and crafting. Every time I had a concern about something it was already addressed in a few posts by the OP. I am extremely interested to see the end result of this build. Thanks for posting! This is a great inspiration!

Otrips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa.... The sump will be in the boiler room with 4 hot water tanks and the furnace? This will be a CO2/PH nightmare.

Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty amazing, I cannot wait to see what has been done since he has been back.

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies I feel so excited about the progress I made and this is the only place I have to share my joy :). Maybe my family will care more once everything is up and running. I've been fighting off some serious jet lag since I have been gone, but I made some time to do a few additions to the tank.

I added Euro bracing to the bottom of the tank and the top. The bottom looks a bit like a lego set or something now, but hopefully it will all be hidden with sand.

I put a 5/8" seal around every corner of the tank especially around the column where the glass meets.

I added an 8" horizontal brace across the top and on the glass column protecting the pole. The remaining part of the pole I coated with epoxy to protect from salt creep.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_25dc.jpg

I did a small water test with about 40 gallons or so.. I lost count going back and forth with a gallon jug last night. So far there are no leaks, but i guess the real test will be when I fill it to the top.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_25e3.jpg

Next I am going to work on plumbing the ghost overflow and sump. First I am going to do more traveling and I am heading to Greece, Morocco, and Spain until October 4th. My father is celebrating his 60th in Marrakesh and I am visiting some travel buddies from my time being a vagabond lol.

So once I am back from another travel adventure I will fill the tank and hopefully start cycling it with rock!

I have been poking around the forums for how people handle flow in tanks like these. I am leaning towards either vortex MP40s or a Gyre. I would love to keep everything all at one side of the tank. Being that the tank is 30" high I am guessing I might have some complexities with the depth and length to allow the flow to circulate adequately.

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing. Love the dedication! Was going to say if it doesn’t hold water, do a dart frog vivarium, and add a reef on the other wall, but you look like you know what you’re doing! With this level of detail, can’t wait to see what your finished reef looks like!

F2DA4FE8-D748-4490-A0C3-EBB56E3F4DB5.jpeg

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man!!!

Honestly a lot of this project I have had no clue what I am doing and just spend hours on here reading other peoples mistakes and successes.

Anytime I jump into a project without really knowing the process, my wife says it is my arrogant naivety! We’ve accomplished a lot with that approach...along with our fair share of mistakes!
I’m envious of the build and the travel! Enjoy your next trip

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After another great holiday in Greece, Morocco, and Spain I finally got back home to test the tank holding water. I added water on Friday and it seems to be holding it fine all weekend.
Settees stoog.jpeg

The glass column covering seems to be keeping to pole dry as well. This has been a very tedious and long project but I am very satisfied with the results and excited to finally start reefing! I am trying to find some aqua scapes in 30" high peninsulas that I want to emulate so I can start cycling.

I have looked around for any other testing I can do but all I have found is just add water and see if it holds it.

Is there anything else anyone knows of that would be good to test is structure of the tank?

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing! Your build is very exciting to watch. I wont be able to start mine for a while. You can test the structure of the tank with a straight edge along the glass to check for deflection. If there is some deflection note the amount and test in a few days to make sure the number isn't increasing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back