Conch and Anemone

The_Bearded_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a conch 4 days ago to help clean up with the detritus bloom I’ve got going on in my tank (40 gallon IM AIO). Aside from maybe the first night, every night the conch seems to go find my anemone (bta) and is right next to it. When I go to bed they are in one spot, then in the morning on the other side of the tank. Seems like the anemone is trying to get away from it. So usually in the morning I’ll move the anemone back to his “spot”. Same thing the next night.
Anyone else have this happen? Should I not move the anemone back and see what happens? Get rid of the conch?
The one picture is where my anemone moved to last night, back corner. Conch hidden behind it. Other is the conch when I first bought it.

5487BD35-4F7F-4C7F-884C-EC11C625B9C8.jpeg BF645226-E293-40CB-BBD3-5A72149D5D7C.jpeg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t keep moving the nem. Every day your freaking it out.
I don’t know much about conches and nems but I do know most aren’t reef safe. Someone else can chime in on that

OP
OP
The_Bearded_Reef

The_Bearded_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t keep moving the nem. Every day your freaking it out.
I don’t know much about conches and nems but I do know most aren’t reef safe. Someone else can chime in on that
Hmm, all the research I did before buying one said they were peaceful and reef safe. I’ll stop moving the nem though!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nem looks like it isn’t doing great and it has nothing to do with the conch. Your tank looks very new as well. Nems really need mature tanks, so that is probably the issue, not the conch.

OP
OP
The_Bearded_Reef

The_Bearded_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nem looks like it isn’t doing great and it has nothing to do with the conch. Your tank looks very new as well. Nems really need mature tanks, so that is probably the issue, not the conch.
The tank is newer than it should probably be for a nem, so yes shame on me. The nem normally looks WAY better when he’s up on the rock in his normal spot. This is early morning after he moved over night to the back.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is newer than it should probably be for a nem, so yes shame on me. The nem normally looks WAY better when he’s up on the rock in his normal spot. This is early morning after he moved over night to the back.

ya it just isn’t happy. Hope it recovers but with a new tank I’d watch it and not mess with it, unless it starts blowing around the tank.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, all the research I did before buying one said they were peaceful and reef safe. I’ll stop moving the nem though!
That’s why I said someone else could chime in lol I have no idea about conches. After I read once they were iffy with corals, never wanted one.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an anemone one month after i set-up my tank, so the new thing does not make sense to me. However, you do need to provide the anemone stability and the right environment (flow, lightning, temperature, salinity, and etc). If the conch is touching the nem , it is possible that it is irritating it. You could always get different clean-up crew if your conch keeps touching and irritating/stressing your anemone.

How long have you had the anemone?

OP
OP
The_Bearded_Reef

The_Bearded_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conch was definitely irritating the nem. It was down by it again this morning, so I decided to pull the conch out. Nem seems happier already, so maybe he’ll move back out from the back corner and find a spot it likes.

I’ve had the nem for almost a month now. I’ve been testing a lot and keeping everything pretty stable. Definitely seems to not like much flow.

98F322F3-25B2-4BBD-AD8B-117A1E731B97.jpeg image.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back