conch id

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I got my first conch the other day and I am second guessing the lfs. The label on the tank said tiger, but I don't think that's what they gave me. The big grey patch is what's throwing me off. Any ideas?
20160215_151245.jpg
20160215_172241.jpg

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Tiger conch to me, by just the shape of the shell. The Grey area may be caused by rubbing from digging in the sand, old coralline algae, or just discoloration.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok serious answer. Sorry about the humor. Ive always had tigers in my tank.(6-7 years) Under the funk growing on his shell Im pretty sure you'll find the long striped marks of a tiger.
If your googling the open side has the stripes, the closed has spots. The big grey patch is algae and dead algae, notice the corraline there as well.
Althougg given in humor, if you scrub him youll find the markings to really positively ID him.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I was just worried I got stuck with something that will end up a foot long like a queen lol. It's funny because I was always under the impression that they moved like a snail, not with this creepy claw like appendage sticking out the back haha. But creepy claw or not, I like him and as long as he does a good job with my sand I'll be happy:) and I actually don't mind the grey for now, but maybe once he is settled in more I will give him a little scrub;)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it weird I clean conch ?

they are neat. slow growers. probably going to hide soon. they do have a little spike on the bottom....

here's a pick of Clark. I lost him in the great crash of '14

SaltyFilmfolks 1 (1 of 1)-10.jpg

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it weird I clean conch ?

they are neat. slow growers. probably going to hide soon. they do have a little spike on the bottom....

here's a pick of Clark. I lost him in the great crash of '14

SaltyFilmfolks 1 (1 of 1)-10.jpg

Awww that stinks:( but great pic! What camera do you use? And no, it's not weird at all. If you took them out to dinner and a movie, we might question your sanity. But hey, I think everyone in thus hobby is a just little nuts lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. We got 2. Clark Conch(akaPooperman for a little animal it really well) and his tiny sidekick Krypto.
I use a bunch of cameras. see my pics thread. I am a nut. You can probably do that now with an Iphone and amazon macro attachment nowadays.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. We got 2. Clark Conch(akaPooperman for a little animal it really well) and his tiny sidekick Krypto.
I use a bunch of cameras. see my pics thread. I am a nut. You can probably do that now with an Iphone and amazon macro attachment nowadays.
Iphone=yuck lol. I had one a few years ago and when I dropped it in my sump on my 120 apple wouldn't do anything about it, can you believe that hahaha. But seriously, I just like the size of the notes, I've had then ever since the first one came out. But I am going to look into that lense! I am leaving for work now, but I will definitely check out your pics!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back