OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune answered the scheduled call. They were pretty quick to respond to my emails, especially during the holiday season.

I gave him remote access to my computer, and he signed into my apex. After running a few tests, he diagnosed the issue is with the probe itself. He said they will send me a new probe, free of purchase, since my unit is still under warranty.

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune answered the scheduled call. They were pretty quick to respond to my emails, especially during the holiday season.

I gave him remote access to my computer, and he signed into my apex. After running a few tests, he diagnosed the issue is with the probe itself. He said they will send me a new probe, free of purchase, since my unit is still under warranty.
Let us know if you are able to calibrate with the new probe. I seem to be having the same issue except that mine consistently reads low. I actually get it to calibrate sometimes and it reads 35 ppt but then after a few minutes goes back to reading low at 31 ppt. At this point I have just given up on it and double check with my refractometer (which reads 35 ppt). The apex probe reading is pretty consistent so I know apex 31 ppt = refract 35 ppt. Don't really want to buy a new probe either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the update!

MrLargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you get the new probe, did it calibrate and all fixed? I am having the same problems, and contacting them tomorrow, too...

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the new probe, did it calibrate and all fixed? I am having the same problems, and contacting them tomorrow, too...
They emailed me the next day later requiring me to ship it to them. They said I needed to wait 1-2 weeks.

I don’t know if they plan to replace or repair it. I was planning on updating this thread once I had more information.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final Update:

Neptune got back to me via email. They said the probe was damaged and it was past their 90-day warranty. They offered a replacement for 50% off retail, which is about $109, with shipping included.

There was a significant flaw with their conductivity probe in the past (while it was working). The probe reading would move down/up daily, so I would constantly need to shake the air bubbles out to get it back to baseline. It also made me very obsessed with getting the probe to read 35ppt.

For these reasons, I will not spend the extra money to get it replaced. I can test my salinity weekly with my refractometer. The only reason I wanted the conductivity was to check on the tank while I was out of town, but I don’t even trust those results anyway; I wouldn’t ask someone to shake my probe either, and who’s to say it won’t break again from all the shaking to come.

I will stick to the refractometer. Maybe one day I’ll splurge on Tropic Marin’s hydrometer or, better yet, a better refractometer.

Anyway, with Randy’s DIY refractometer solution: I’m invincible. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here’s my response email lol

6DE9632E-6329-418B-9150-FC7ED01ABDC2.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here’s my response email lol

6DE9632E-6329-418B-9150-FC7ED01ABDC2.jpeg
When I've needed to replace pH, ORP or Conductivity probes I normally just search around and find a non OEM version which is often much cheaper.

As long as it is submersible 24/7 I haven't seen much difference in performance compared to (in my case) the GHL parts. Over here, I tend to use BlueLab parts but I'm not sure of availability over there.

Of course, having and using a different measurement tool is always a good choice too, as long as you understand the differences.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back