OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be haddoni, but it could also be S. gigantea that's acclimating. Can you take a photo of the column? If it has spots (verrucae) then it's a gigantea. Either way, nice anemone!
Here's a video. At 11 seconds you can see the column. Also the tentacles move with the flow unlike my haddoni.

I thought I bought a haddoni, I don't have experience taking care of a gigantea :(

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot see it well. Can you get clearer picture under white light? If the foot is pastel and dark spots on column then it is a Gigantea. Tan and no spot then it is Haddoni.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot see it well. Can you get clearer picture under white light? If the foot is pastel and dark spots on column then it is a Gigantea. Tan and no spot then it is Haddoni.
I think it is blue base with lighter spots.
Screenshot_20200525-210453_Video Player.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use filter or use flash for your picture.
Blue light isn't going to do it for Gigantea and Magnifica. They need full spectrum bright light.

Tan or brown spots normally mean S. helianthus, the Atlantic Sun Anemone. That anemone isn't a Mertensii or Haddoni. Haddoni foes not have spots. It's either Helianthus which is less likely, especially with the Ocellaris clown in it. Much more likely a Gigantea.

You just have to come up with a better picture to be sure. How can anybody judge the color of anything under that blue light?

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni does have verrucae but it is tan color, the same color as the column. Maybe your anemone is a Haddoni. You just need to get a normal color picture rather than the blue picture.
696FDAD9-1353-4629-A142-45ADED69DADC.jpeg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow first a red Haddoni and then a nice blue gigantea. Your very lucky. It’s rare for me to even be able get those in my country. I have to pay very expensive fees to import my anemones in.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow first a red Haddoni and then a nice blue gigantea. Your very lucky. It’s rare for me to even be able get those in my country. I have to pay very expensive fees to import my anemones in.
Yeah my local fish store is big and has amazing items.

@OrionN @chizerbunoi can you guys describe requirements? I know bottom placement, strong lights, and high flow. I have an extra power head, should I add that in my tank? Right now I have one MP40 in a red sea reefer 250

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 100% gigantea.

They like high light and high flow and will typically be up in the rockwork (though I have two that are right at where the sandbed and rockwork meet). Ideal light and flow conditions dictate where they live in the tank. In other words, unlike haddoni that are rarely in the rockwork and like to bury their foot, gigantea will live anywhere in the tank that gives them proper light and flow

Definitely add the powerhead -- the flow in the video is too low.

Are the haddoni and gigantea in the same tank? If so, if you can remove the gigantea and place it in a QT tank, that would be ideal. You'll want to observe it for a few weeks to make sure that it's not sick.

In my experience, the pathogen that can make a gigantea sick can also affect haddoni. I don't mean to scare you, just want to take all precautions to ensure the safety of both anemones.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 100% gigantea.

They like high light and high flow and will typically be up in the rockwork (though I have two that are right at where the sandbed and rockwork meet). Ideal light and flow conditions dictate where they live in the tank. In other words, unlike haddoni that are rarely in the rockwork and like to bury their foot, gigantea will live anywhere in the tank that gives them proper light and flow

Definitely add the powerhead -- the flow in the video is too low.

Are the haddoni and gigantea in the same tank? If so, if you can remove the gigantea and place it in a QT tank, that would be ideal. You'll want to observe it for a few weeks to make sure that it's not sick.

In my experience, the pathogen that can make a gigantea sick can also affect haddoni. I don't mean to scare you, just want to take all precautions to ensure the safety of both anemones.
I've been watching it in the lfs for the past two months and it does not look sick at all (mouth tight, very sticky, and etc). I rather put it in the display tank and give it proper environment.

At the moment I don't have a QT tank with the proper lighting

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching it in the lfs for the past two months and it does not look sick at all (mouth tight, very sticky, and etc). I rather put it in the display tank and give it proper environment.

At the moment I don't have a QT tank with the proper lighting

If it's been at the LFS for at least two months, then I'd assume it's not sick. If less than a month, I'd be concerned.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back