OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all think red banded shrimp (cleaner shrimp) get a free pass? I think they do because the fish know instinctively they are an asset. The coloration of the shrimp does it.
i used to think that about my eel. Until my puffer got tired of the shrimp trying to climb on him, snipped his tentacles to nubs, and the eel snatched it right off a rock in front of me

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok scott
PULL THE TRIGGER !!!!!!!;)

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't had a problem i have a choral banded shrimp tiger shrimp red fire shrimp which climbs on him and cleans and a host of crabs including arrow and emeralds and snails and 3 clams 2" 4"6"
its funny watching the niger and clown tigers lay on side so fire shrimp can tickle them i mean clean them
my hermits tend to do most of there work at night so they don't bother them.
like i said just feed them get them small and they will behave!
if i drop a cuc straight in forget it
I had a coral banded I got rid of because when the lights were down that thing would stalk everything in the tank. The lfs told me break one of its pinchers off, but nah, I'd rather everyone get along.
Before reading this I'd have never thought they'd be that peaceful. Now I'm wondering if one would be ok in my main display. Either way I'm looking for a tiny one now. I'll let the eel cycle the tank then add maybe a copper banded then probably the trigger last. Any corals specificity to stay away from? I'm thinking if it grows up with them it would be more apt to leave them alone then if I added them to its territory

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've set up a 90 specifically for an 18 in snowflake who is messing up my corals in my main display due to digging and size. Also joining her will be a foxface that likes to eat the corals with polyps.

I'd like a small clown trigger, as its my favorite fish but I'm wondering how limited I would be. I don't care for tanks with no corals so I'm thinking of including some softies from my display like a Kenya tree, and toad stool. Things that don't mind some nitrates, as I don't really want to chase numbers as much with this tank. (Within reason). Aside from coral options how would a larger copperbanded butterfly fit in?

I added a clown trigger a few weeks ago and he is a great addition. He is about 1 3/4" or so.

I have an 18" white eyed moray that's been in my tank over a year. My oldest fish is a 3" False Percula Clown.

They have all gotten along fine. No signs of aggression at all amongst them.

I have two leather Toadstools, 5 bubble tip Anenomes (the things split a lot). And a ton of Xenia. The clown trigger had not shown any interest in those.

My hermits are also un disturbed, but I think if I had a shrimp it may get eaten.

I also have a sea hare and he's been fine.

I'd say go for it, I have no concerns to share.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5516.JPG

ClownnGoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a clown trigger a few weeks ago and he is a great addition. He is about 1 3/4" or so.

I have an 18" white eyed moray that's been in my tank over a year. My oldest fish is a 3" False Percula Clown.

I have two leather Toadstools, 5 bubble tip Anenomes (the things split a lot). And a ton of Xenia. The clown trigger had not shown any interest in those.

My hermits are also un disturbed, but I think if I had a shrimp it may get eaten.

Just bought a white eye over the weekend , so far he's been good haven't seen him much but all my fish and cleaner shrimp still here ,
I really wanted a dwarf golden moray but I never see them at any of the fish stores , then I saw the white eye for 20 bucks and bought him

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a white eye over the weekend , so far he's been good haven't seen him much but all my fish and cleaner shrimp still here ,
I really wanted a dwarf golden moray but I never see them at any of the fish stores , then I saw the white eye for 20 bucks and bought him

That's great. I love mine. He hides out all the time but he seems super mellow. He has never bothered anything in my tank. I feed him once a week all he can eat. I buy those little cooked cocktail shrimp from the grocery store or mussels and freeze them. Any leftover pieces go the Anemones.

Golden morays are hard to find but I think the white eye is the next best thing.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown triggers are my favorite fish and I'd LOVE to have one someday. Unfortunately, I have a strict rule of peaceful inhabitants only in my 6ft 180g tank and I love my shrimp and snails too much to test a trigger in the tank.

Someday I'd like to setup a large 6-8ft tank with nothing but Anemone's, torch/hammer corals and a large clown trigger as the only inhabitant. I've heard first hand stories of older triggers going homicidal overnight and I think it'd be a beautiful fish to display on it's own.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't count on it, that's what I thought with a fire shrimp, they are cleaner shrimp also. My skunk cleaner disappeared after about a week after I added a juvi jeweled moray eel. One thing don't forget these guys are predators, their tankmates must be able to hold their own against them. A clown trigger comes into his own somewhere around 5", that's were the rubber meets the road. At that size they need to be in a minimally stocked larger tank with other aggressive tankmates. And remember fish are people too, they all have their own temperament and personality.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all think red banded shrimp (cleaner shrimp) get a free pass? I think they do because the fish know instinctively they are an asset. The coloration of the shrimp does it.
Like Machete, trigger dont care.

I picked up a clown trigger at a terrible LFS around '95 or '96. It was barely bigger than a dime when I picked it up and I gave it little chance to live given how bad the quality of fish from this place could be (always had a fantastic selection though). It was my little buddy, loved that thing like it was my favorite dog. He plumped up well and grew to about 3" fairly quickly (year to a year and a half). Was never overly aggressive and always a model citizen (I never dared place an invert in the tank). Woke up one morning to an aggressive tank of death; he was the only fish remaining but wasnt looking good. I snatched him out and moved it to my [poor excuse] of a reef at the time but he too had died while I was at work. I was literally heart broke, loved that little guy and I've never had another since.

While he (could have been she but dont ruin it for me) was very mild tempered, he was also only about 4" and roughly two years old. I'm sure the spawn of satan would have come out later in life (wouldnt have mattered to me).

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My 18" snowflake spiked the purchase at the new tank. She not only digs and ruins my rock work, but the reason I did it when I did was about a month ago I left for the weekend. I hand feed her every single day. I didn't want my mother in law feeding her while I was gone for obvious reasons, so she went a day without eating. Shouldn't be a big deal, but she's used to her schedule. I came home to my $100 male gladiator clown vanished. Snowflakes don't have teeth, and known to be a fairly passive species. she's been housed since she was 3/8" with shrimp and a mandarin with no aggressive issues. So just be aware, eels, especially with fangs propose a risk that I won't take again unless housed with fish that can hold their own.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, definitely a risk. I had a peaceful tank and was trying the reef. I wasn't dedicated enough to do a true reef tank and most of my coral wasted away. Softies were doing good and I was down to two percula clowns (note I have one now). I decided I wanted to go a different way and try FOWLR but I didn't strip my tank or anything. Got the eel cause I always wanted one and waited to see how it went. I expected my clowns to probably end up a snack, but hoped the temperament of the eel and my protection of nems would win out. The smaller clown disappeared after a month or so but the larger has been the eels tank mate for over a year. Maybe close to two now. Probably helps the clownfish is larger and has good anemones. I also think white eyed morays are more peaceful than even snowflakes.

So my tank now is an anomaly. It's not supposed to work! I actually have 7 anemones (recounted today) and lots of Xenia and the two large leathers. All doing great. I have a clownfish with an eel and a clown triggerfish.

Everything says it won't work but it's doing pretty well for now.

I've found in this hobby, order of addition of species is the key to tank harmony. And also, that with a little risk, always expect the worse, that way you are thrilled when it doesn't end in disaster.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhhhh so so tempting. I was planning on attempting a blue spotted puffer in my reef tank, but now considering a clown trigger. I do have a coral banded and snails, crabs, etc.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would as well. I have a puffer in my DT and for the most part he's behaved. He's well fed, but I have to feed him individually or he'd starve because of the others. I named him Travis, after an employee at work that had the same problem.

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can you find one at such a small size? Any online store sell them small? Ive only seen them a hand full of times at my lfs but they were at least 3".
I would love to have one in my 100 when I get it going.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back