Considering starting a reef--couple of questions

rsteilberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've been doing some research over the past week about getting into the hobby and starting my own nano. I love scuba diving and had a tank when I was a kid and would love to get back into the hobby. I'm so overwhelmed by all of the different pieces of equipment, steps, etc. necessary to start a reef tank, but here are some questions I have. Any advice is also welcome and appreciated.

Some important notes: I have a good bit of free time and I don't mind doing maintenance. I don't want to jump in and buy all the fancy but optional pieces of equipment at the start. I am also not on a tight budget. I do, however, want to put the tank in my bedroom, so it'd be best if I could find equipment that is as quiet as possible. I think I only want to start with a couple clownfish or other hardier livestock to start, maybe some corals once I learn more, nothing too fancy.

My questions to start:

1. How hard is it to set up a nano in an apartment setting? I have my own room but not much space. I was thinking of getting the Fluval 13.5 and setting it up on my desk or perhaps my bookshelf. I don't know if a smaller tank can just be placed on a regular piece of wood furniture, or if it requires a fancy surge protector or dedicated shelf for external equipment, etc. I've read about tanks that have the sump just hanging off the side and tanks that have an ATO with a reservoir that sits below in a cabinet, there are so many different ways to set things up!
2. Should I take moving into consideration? My current lease runs through May, and I'll probably move to somewhere else in my city around that time. Not sure how feasible it is to move an entire tank with livestock/etc in a car (which I'd have to rent, since I don't currently own one).
3. How feasible is it to leave the tank during travel? I usually leave for the weekend every couple of weeks or so, and maybe do ~3 1+ week trips a year. I have a roommate who could do feedings or maybe other basic maintenance, but not sure how feasible it is to let the tank run for somewhere around 2 weeks unattended if I had to.

Should I just give up on saltwater and consider doing freshwater instead? Are those less maintenance/can be left alone for longer if necessary without causing mass fish destruction? Should I just wait until I'm at the stage of my life where I am living in a house or other permanent dwelling or something?

What else should I be aware of? If I'm getting a Fluval 13.5 or similar tank (open to recommendations), what kind of equipment list am I looking at to start with?

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. With that small a tank you could likely get by with putting on a very sturdy desk. While small, it will be about 140 ish pounds. You wouldn't want to put it on a book shelf. Ideally a stand designed for aquariums.

My current setup is a 40g breeder with a HOB skimmer. Auto top off is likely going to be pulled from basement with peristaltic top off pump, though it may be under stand in a container. Possibilities are endless.

2. Moving is always an issue to consider. Freshwater is easier to move, but both are a pain. But just plan your tank around it. If you have a more open rock aquascape, you could more easily transfer. Corals can tolerate being shipped thousands of miles, a couple hours is nothing to them.

3. It can be very feasible. Feeding and top off are the only constant needs. You can give a room mate or friend the very basics on feeding and making sure top off reservoir is filled and it can go weeks. A basic controller setup will allow you to monitor the tank and get alerts by text or email.

I wouldn't wait for a house or that kind of stability to set up a reef tank. Freshwater is fun, but a reef is a level higher. Go for it, just plan to make life easier for yourself when you do move ;)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Welcome to R2R.

For a small space, the evo is a good choice. I have one in my office with a pair of clownfish and a few soft corals, and things get by great with a small weekly water change that I do with as much water as can fit in 2 old vinegar jugs. The evo fits on a standard 10gal aquarium stand, and that would be much better than a shelf. You could also use a solid nightstand or have it on a desk, but not on a shelf.

If you keep a simple all in one system, then when moving comes, all you'll really need is a couple of 5 gallon hardware store buckets.

I leave the tank when I'm out of the office for vacation and on weekends. For weekends, the fish are fine. For a week or more, i pre-portion food and have someone feed the tank for me while I'm gone. I keep an eye on the temperature and the water level with an old apex jr that I picked up on ebay.

I use the stock lighting, which really limits the corals i can keep, as well as the coloration. If budget isn't a big concern, personally i would go with something like an innovative marine nuvo 14 or 20 where you already have the open top, a little more space in the filtration, low iron glass and the choice of standard or peninsula.

OP
OP
rsteilberg

rsteilberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the two pieces of furniture I have to play with--the desk is decent, it's made of particleboard (yick I know) I think but the top is pretty solid (and was HEAVY) and can hold a 160 lb person (me). The other is the bookshelf, more of a bedside table, but I don't trust it as much since the bedroom is carpet, might not be as stable, I am not sure. Important thing to note about the desk is it is next to a window--I measured and technically the evo would not extend past the wall in front of the window, but I know windows should be avoided. I'm pretty sure that this area doesn't get direct sunlight during sunrises (plus I have blackout shades).

What kind of equipment should I start out with?

Thanks for the advice!

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 9.01.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 9.01.48 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome27.jpg

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider a small all in one. Because you don't have to go down to a sump and back up they typically run much quieter. I have a 120 gallon AIO you can barely hear when standing 2 ft from it.
Example here is 40 AIO

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider something like this:
A small portable RODI system:

A really nice, but small and manageable tank. Easy to pack up and move from apartment to apartment during that stage of life.

Lit with one of these:

You could get by with just a regular ATO unit, but if you expect to be away frequently for short times, an Apex EL, with an ATK kit might be a better choice. It will add another 1000$ to the bottom line though.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back