Containing chaeto

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to add chaeto to my sump but it doesn’t have a refugium section. I am considering adding some chaeto to the area where the drain pipes are but need some way to contain it without blocking water flow.
I have done some reading where people made a box using egg crate but I’m afraid that would let too many small pieces of chaeto through. I am also considering just blocking the section with the drain pipe from the skimmer section with a piece of aqua mesh.
I’m just curious what others have used to successfully block chaeto without blocking flow too much.

If I can’t figure out a way to make it work I have also considered just adding a reactor.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could add a box with a bunch of holes cut into it with a netting around it. That should stop it going into the return
Making a box with egg crate and then wrapping it in mesh is definitely a possibility. I would just need to figure out what size mesh I would need to keep it in.
I prefer the idea of just blocking the different sections of the return off from one another if feasible to increase the space avaialable. Separating the drain section from the skimmer section is a baffle with a large cutout in the bottom, where apparently a foam filter block used to go.

It’s the sump on an old RedSea Max S400 before they designed them to use filter socks.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would add I dont know whether that foam is really ideal. I use some blue stuff that is very durable I cant tell in that link if it looks like would hold up or not. The pieces I use are about 2" thick so they already mostly keep their shape and just a couple zipties is all I need to keep attached to eggcrate.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass box just lower than the baffles so it floods but not torrential inside.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would add I dont know whether that foam is really ideal. I use some blue stuff that is very durable I cant tell in that link if it looks like would hold up or not. The pieces I use are about 2" thick so they already mostly keep their shape and just a couple zipties is all I need to keep attached to eggcrate.
The foam linked looks fairly fine. Ideally I’d prefer it not to work too much like a filter that has to be cleaned frequently. That’s why I was originally looking at the coarser aquamesh sheets. Although I guess the principal is the same

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto is so tightly intertwined, that is doesn’t separate and move in the sump. I have a simple, homemade egg crate box around my chaeto. The chaeto doesn’t move from the egg crate.

4AB1E430-5F11-4269-B7DA-6350AB6BD21E.jpeg

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s an open top box then when I turn off the return pump it would overflow the box possibly letting the chaeto out.
I do have two spare manifold ports so I could possibly just raise the box to where it’s always above the high water level, feed if from the manifold, and let it gravity drain back into the sump over weir teeth.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto is so tightly intertwined, that is doesn’t separate and move in the sump. I have a simple, homemade egg crate box around my chaeto. The chaeto doesn’t move from the egg crate.

4AB1E430-5F11-4269-B7DA-6350AB6BD21E.jpeg
That’s perfect. As long as I can contain it enough that big enough pieces don’t get out that could clog my skimmer pump. I actually have socks before my return pump section.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to the flow consideration......typically you don't want a ton of flow in this area with your chaeto.......either egg crate or any box is fine....you can use a plastic Tupperware box too and sit it on a platform to get the height right. Drill holes for in and out flow around the top edge.....keep the top of the box above the water line.

sgdnycct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like th easiest option of you might be to use basic filter sponge and fit it to the base of the compartment area.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were using an eggcrate box I would cover it in 1/4 inch mesh like what is used for lids. I have dividers made this way that extend above my glass baffles to contain stuff when the pumps are off and they work so would probably work in a box design I would think. Foam gets too dirty for me and cleaning them becomes another maintenance item.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back