continuous cipro dose for clownfish

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey
I know that cipro is generally dosed as a bath of 250mg per gallons but I was wondering if anyone knew if I could dose it in a tank at 250mg per 10 gallons for clownfish, the same dose that is used for anemones. I am hoping to quarantined both the clownfish and anemone in the same tank and not setup a second qt tank for either the fish or anemone

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my frag tank at .2 mg/l this morning for a suspected Arcobacter infection in my sps. I would not dose a non QT tank at 250mg per 10 gallons personally. That’s a heavy dose.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t do much for any of the common diseases - just will treat for any bacterial infections in the nem.
Clowns should still get the copper + prazi treatment (without the nem).

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It won’t do much for any of the common diseases - just will treat for any bacterial infections in the nem.
Clowns should still get the copper + prazi treatment (without the nem).
Yes I am aware, but this way I can start off anemone and clown on the cipro and move the anemone into the display and keep the clown in the qt tank

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk about fish, hence the thread, but for anemone it is the recommended dose
I have no fish in my frag system. That might be the recommended dose for an anemone in isolation. But dosing an established tank with that seems risky. Maybe I misread the op and these are in an isolation tank. I hope it works out!

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have no fish in my frag system. That might be the recommended dose for an anemone in isolation. But dosing an established tank with that seems risky. Maybe I misread the op and these are in an isolation tank. I hope it works out!
It is going to be dosed in a qt tank, just 1 qt tank instead of setting up 2 separate one. Once cipro treatment is done the anemone is going into the display (which is fallow) to finish qt for any marine velvet and ich while the clown stay in the qt and start copper

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk about fish, hence the thread, but for anemone it is the recommended dose
Are you sure it’s not 5mg per 10 gallons

I personally have dosed my DT before, but at the 5mg per 10gallon that the thread above suggests.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proactive antibiotic treatment is harmful. You should not do that for the clownfish. I would also say to proactively treat an anemone with an antibiotic is harmful. An organisms microbiome is extremely important to numerous bodily and behavioral functions.

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Proactive antibiotic treatment is harmful. You should not do that for the clownfish. I would also say to proactively treat an anemone with an antibiotic is harmful. An organisms microbiome is extremely important to numerous bodily and behavioral functions.
The anemone that I am planning to get is a ritteri/magnifica, which in my experience so far have always gotten bacterial issues, hence why I am proactively treating the anemone.

You are right that proactive antibiotic treatment is harmful, but you can say that about any treatment. I do feed probiotic foods to my fish, which should help with any beneficial bacteria in their microbiome that was harmed by the cipro. At least I have personally witness my fish get much fatter after I started probiotic supplement in the food

Are you sure it’s not 5mg per 10 gallons

I personally have dosed my DT before, but at the 5mg per 10gallon that the thread above suggests.
For a QT i was told it was 250mg per 10 gallons, which i have done and it worked wonders for the ritteri/magnifica that I was treating
1670493003268.png

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also forgot to mentioned the continuous dose is only 24 hours, water change and redose. Cipro degrades rapidly when exposed to light so both the anemone and fish are not exposed to it full power during the whole treatment. At most, they will spend half of the time exposed to it full strenght. I have linked the protocol for cipro treatment for anemone in the post above. For more details

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey
I know that cipro is generally dosed as a bath of 250mg per gallons but I was wondering if anyone knew if I could dose it in a tank at 250mg per 10 gallons for clownfish, the same dose that is used for anemones. I am hoping to quarantined both the clownfish and anemone in the same tank and not setup a second qt tank for either the fish or anemone
Cipro is not a quarantine medication - for anemones or for fish. So - IMHO - the answer would be 'no'. Instead, put the anemone in your display (unless it's showing signs of disease) - and QT your fish with the protocol - using copper and Prazipro. In general - my comment relating to antibiotics - especially those used in humans is to use them only when NEEDED. Not as a QT prophylaxis. Now - perhaps you have a different reason for doing it - it isn't completely clear - nor is it clear why you would want to use a drip as compared to just dosing it per the directions?

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cipro is not a quarantine medication - for anemones or for fish. So - IMHO - the answer would be 'no'. Instead, put the anemone in your display (unless it's showing signs of disease) - and QT your fish with the protocol - using copper and Prazipro. In general - my comment relating to antibiotics - especially those used in humans is to use them only when NEEDED. Not as a QT prophylaxis. Now - perhaps you have a different reason for doing it - it isn't completely clear - nor is it clear why you would want to use a drip as compared to just dosing it per the directions?
I know my op wasnt clear but as stated in the 2 post before yours
The anemone that I am planning to get is a ritteri/magnifica, which in my experience so far have always gotten bacterial issues, hence why I am proactively treating the anemone.
Also forgot to mentioned the continuous dose is only 24 hours, water change and redose. Cipro degrades rapidly when exposed to light so both the anemone and fish are not exposed to it full power during the whole treatment. At most, they will spend half of the time exposed to it full strenght. I have linked the protocol for cipro treatment for anemone in the post above. For more details

As for the way im treating it. It isn't a drip but putting lower quantity than the typical fish treatment over a longer period of time to a dose that the anemone will be able to stay in and be treated efficiently. 250mg for 10 gallons over 24 hours instead of 250mg per gallon for 30 mins.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know my op wasnt clear but as stated in the 2 post before yours

As for the way im treating it. It isn't a drip but putting lower quantity than the typical fish treatment over a longer period of time to a dose that the anemone will be able to stay in and be treated efficiently. 250mg for 10 gallons over 24 hours instead of 250mg per gallon for 30 mins.
I would just follow the standard protocol.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are right that proactive antibiotic treatment is harmful, but you can say that about any treatment. I do feed probiotic foods to my fish, which should help with any beneficial bacteria in their microbiome that was harmed by the cipro. At least I have personally witness my fish get much fatter after I started probiotic supplement in the food

For a QT i was told it was 250mg per 10 gallons, which i have done and it worked wonders for the ritteri/magnifica that I was treating
1670493003268.png

I understand it for the anemone in this case if you have high mortality issues with an expensive anemone. I still however very much do not thing you should do this with the fish. I am also very hesistant about the efficacy of probiotic fish foods especially since I doubt they are going to have microbes that would normally make up a clown fish gut microbiome. Plus, the host microbiome may not be accepting of new symbionts. However, I was more refering to the skin microbiome of the clownfish. I would also argue that proactive antibiotic treatment is harmful vs proactive treatment of something like copper or prazi is not (particularly in the long term). If you are interested, I can chat with some friend of my with any questions of yours who are doctors of microbiology with a focus on microbiome symbiosis.

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand it for the anemone in this case if you have high mortality issues with an expensive anemone. I still however very much do not thing you should do this with the fish. I am also very hesistant about the efficacy of probiotic fish foods especially since I doubt they are going to have microbes that would normally make up a clown fish gut microbiome. Plus, the host microbiome may not be accepting of new symbionts. However, I was more refering to the skin microbiome of the clownfish. I would also argue that proactive antibiotic treatment is harmful vs proactive treatment of something like copper or prazi is not (particularly in the long term). If you are interested, I can chat with some friend of my with any questions of yours who are doctors of microbiology with a focus on microbiome symbiosis.
I mean sure thing I'd love to hear their opinions on this matter

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back