Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was talking to another reefer the other day and we got into the topic of cycling methods. When I got into saltwater, my LFS introduced me to a very effective and quick method that is seemingly uncommon. He would add a cap full of pure bottled ammonia from Walmart per 20G and add in a piece of media from an established tank. This appears to be risk free and I've never had a cycle take more than 8 days. What are your thoughts on this method? Is faster sometimes better?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be the same as seeding a tank with live rock/rubble and dosing ammonia. Very common practice. Not sure on the concentration of that ammonia but it seems excessive. It’s drops per gallon with a product like dr Tim’s. This method is not actually risk free as you could introduce disease or pests but that’s always the trade off with live rock/media. Low risk but not risk free.

Upvote 0

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is essentially what every cycling protocol with bottled bacteria is, the only difference is that you already have rock with seeded bacteria instead of adding it from a bottle. The only issue with this method is that it is less controlled and is likely to have more variability in results. Variability coming from the type of bacteria seeded on this media and whether the amount is enough to seed the rest of the tank. I don't think this method is controversial, it just comes with the risk of introducing potentially unwanted organisms from whatever establish tank it came from. Definitely a sound method in my opinion if you understand the risk of what could come with that media.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new or controversial at all. I have been doing this for the last 35 years or so with every tank I have owned.
Rocks from an established tank are plenty loaded enough to skip-cycle a tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use media from your own tank you should have a good understanding as to what's being transferred. Example, I had one 10g setup with a HOB. As I set up a second with a HOB, I took a cartridge from the established to put in the new tank. It cycled from 10ppm Ammonia to 0 PPM ammonia and 0 PPM nitrite in 4 days. Yes it was too much ammonia in hindsight but it created a very strong colony of bacteria.
This is essentially what every cycling protocol with bottled bacteria is, the only difference is that you already have rock with seeded bacteria instead of adding it from a bottle. The only issue with this method is that it is less controlled and is likely to have more variability in results. Variability coming from the type of bacteria seeded on this media and whether the amount is enough to seed the rest of the tank. I don't think this method is controversial, it just comes with the risk of introducing potentially unwanted organisms from whatever establish tank it came from. Definitely a sound method in my opinion if you understand the risk of what could come with that media

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be the same as seeding a tank with live rock/rubble and dosing ammonia. Very common practice. Not sure on the concentration of that ammonia but it seems excessive. It’s drops per gallon with a product like dr Tim’s. This method is not actually risk free as you could introduce disease or pests but that’s always the trade off with live rock/media. Low risk but not risk free.
It does end up being an extremely high PPM of ammonia but it creates a strong colony of bacteria that in theory (I wouldn't test it) could probably hold nearly the full tank of fish rather than one or two. It isn't a good idea to dump several fish in, but I could see it working.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new or controversial at all. I have been doing this for the last 35 years or so with every tank I have owned.
Rocks from an established tank are plenty loaded enough to skip-cycle a tank.
I've always put in an extra HOB filter cartridge into the established aquarium a week or two ahead of cycling the upcoming tank and then switched it over when the time comes.

Upvote 0

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use media from your own tank you should have a good understanding as to what's being transferred. Example, I had one 10g setup with a HOB. As I set up a second with a HOB, I took a cartridge from the established to put in the new tank. It cycled from 10ppm Ammonia to 0 PPM ammonia and 0 PPM nitrite in 4 days. Yes it was too much ammonia in hindsight but it created a very strong colony of bacteria.
Yeah, I was referring to using rock/media from an established tank of someone else's, didn't know you meant from a tank of your own. If it were me, I would also have no issue sharing things between my tanks except my hospital/QT tank, unless of course I had a concern with one tank. In fact a lot of people put rocks/media in their sumps to keep them seeded with bacteria in case they need to quickly setup a tank or for future tanks so that cycling does not take as long.

Upvote 0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does end up being an extremely high PPM of ammonia but it creates a strong colony of bacteria that in theory (I wouldn't test it) could probably hold nearly the full tank of fish rather than one or two. It isn't a good idea to dump several fish in, but I could see it working.
I may be wrong here but I believe overdosing ammonia leads to the opposite effect. It also takes time not just massive amount of ammonia for the bacteria to multiply. It’s just going to take longer to get through all the ammonia and lead to higher nitrates at the start. How many ppm does it go up to with your method out of curiosity?

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always put in an extra HOB filter cartridge into the established aquarium a week or two ahead of cycling the upcoming tank and then switched it over when the time comes.

That is fine for a smaller tank, but when you get into larger builds, rocks are far superior. They have far more surface area for the bacterial colonies to grow on. Even a handful of rubble rock will outweigh a filter cartridge when it comes to skip-cycling a tank.

Upvote 0

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an outrageous overdose. Assuming this is 10% ammonia, a cup would result in an ammonia level of 312ppm.

A proper dose would be 3ml or so. There are 236ml in a cup.

It does end up being an extremely high PPM of ammonia but it creates a strong colony of bacteria
I'm not sure what that would be based on. All that an overdose of ammonia creates is an extremely challenging and ultra long cycle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an outrageous overdose. Assuming this is 10% ammonia, a cup would result in an ammonia level of 312ppm.

A proper dose would be 3ml or so. There are 236ml in a cup.

I'm not sure what that would be based on. All that an overdose of ammonia creates is an extremely challenging and ultra long cycle.

CAP full.. not a CUP full.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back