Coolest Eel Stocking Ideas

rlkilwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on a stocking decision- I have a 40 gallon cube that has a couple frags but is mostly just sand and live rock- I’m planning to put one eel in there and have that be his tank, but what would be best? I would love something unique/unusual but don’t want to spend the 500 for a golden dwarf moray! Any suggestions? I would love something that could be “fish friendly” that I could add to a future large reef tank, but am open to species tank only eels as well. Have you ever seen an eel that really caught your eye?? What eel would you choose if it was you?? Would love pics of your eels and ideas!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really the only eel to think of that would work in a 40C is the golden dwarf. I don't know much about them but have you thought about an engineer goby.

OP
OP
rlkilwil

rlkilwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- I actually work at an LFS near Orlando and am totally familiar with most eels- I should have specified that I’ll be ordering said eel very small and it’ll be in that tank for maximum one year before it goes into a much larger system!
Really the only eel to think of that would work in a 40C is the golden dwarf. I don't know much about them but have you thought about an engineer goby.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- I actually work at an LFS near Orlando and am totally familiar with most eels- I should have specified that I’ll be ordering said eel very small and it’ll be in that tank for maximum one year before it goes into a much larger system!

Most of your morays grow very fast to mature size. Since you have resources to get them into a larger tank, you may try something else for a while. To be fish friendly, especially in a smaller tank, they need to be a pebbletooth. If you looking for something a little different, maybe a skeletor. I haven't seen many really small ones, but maybe worth a look, The engineer goby isn't an eel, it's just eel like, when they get large they look very much like an eel with interesting markings. There's also the banded eel, but I find the skelator the most beautiful and interesting of the pebbletooth's. The chainlink or zebra will get way too big too fast, and even start out too big to begin with.

OP
OP
rlkilwil

rlkilwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A garden eel might work, if you have deep sand, or a deep sand box, and if you leave all the big particles in the water (that's what they eat).
I have actually considered that! Turns out they need a pretty hefty sand bed, six inches minimum but over twelve is really what they need. In my cube, that would be half my height in the tank!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back