Copper band butterfly

Gulrez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat anemones or nip at corals? I read they eat aiptasia. What has been your experience? I have a filefish and peppermint. Useless.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say they do. After 1 week im waiting to see if the patch where it hangs out starts to disappear.

U

User1

View Badges
Do they eat anemones or nip at corals? I read they eat aiptasia. What has been your experience? I have a filefish and peppermint. Useless.

All fish nip so the Copperband isn't going to be much different. Their main source of food is via foraging pods and worms. They are on the advanced scale of fish due to their eating requirements and some never taking to prepared be it flake, frozen, or pellet. They are a beautiful fish and worth having in any reef once the system is mature enough to support them with natural food within the tank should they not eat prepared.

Having said that file fish (assuming you have the matted filefish) and peppermints are going to be hit or miss with aiptasia. I've had both and both ate it without hesitation. But with any search here or elsewhere you will see some with luck others without it and a mix of success but they also ait frogspawn, duncans, and zoas (file fish that is). I've had both actually. One that ate aiptasia and another that didn't. Just depends.

Regarding Copperband and aiptasia - I would not recommend this fish for aiptasia control alone. If it is on your stocking list, a mature tank (2 or so years of age), and no to low fish competing for similar food then I'd recommend it. On the other hand if one is to chance buying it for control it would be the wrong tool.

Lastly - when I introduced my matted filefish (biota and non) or peppermint shrimp I didn't feed the tank for a few days. Fish complained yes but I wanted the new lads to forage a bit first before getting the prepared I provided to the rest. May or may not have helped but something I do never the less.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering myself. And have been for awhile. It is a slight risk from all read....I have a few Aptasia but nothing out of control. Had 3 healthy juvenile at my lfs for 50 bucks less 20% on black friday...still didn't pull trigger....not sure why.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump was filled with aptasia. my display tank never had an aptasia while I had my copperband.
it never bothered my corals, but it did eat all the tiny feather dusters that had populated the tank before it's arrival.
I'm currently trying to get another one.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering myself. And have been for awhile. It is a slight risk from all read....I have a few Aptasia but nothing out of control. Had 3 healthy juvenile at my lfs for 50 bucks less 20% on black friday...still didn't pull trigger....not sure why.
wish I could find one local, especially at that price.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer roaops for pest anemone control. mine have been similarly if not more reef safe to copperbands. My copperbands always ate something one ate pipe organ corals, one ate conches and snails. Copperbands often only eat smaller pest nems where I find the roaops readily consume pest nems of all sizes. they are also a lot easier to condition than a copperband.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had them and very difficult fish to keep long term. Especially with tangs and fast water movement imo. I just got some berghia nudi, I think they have totally eradicated my aptasia. Took awhile for them to get going though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back