Copper for preventative measures?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been quarantining a pearlscale butterfly, bannerfish, and dartfish (in three different tanks). They are all eating well and i have treated them all with api general care. They are not showing any signs of ich, marine velvet, etc. im wondering if i will need to treat them with copper. In the past, all the fish that ive quarantined will usually go through copper treatment since ive lost hundreds or more from marine velvet. But is it even needed if they arent showing any signs?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would treat them with copper yes, there are many people who observe and only treat if necessary. It really comes down to your own risk tolerance. If I were to observe only I would probably do so for a few months.

I just have too many fish in my tank that are "hard to keep" and the risk is not worth it to me. The thousands in livestock and all of the hard work maintaining a parasite free system just isn't worth the risk of not using prophylactic copper IMO.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would treat them with copper yes, there are many people who observe and only treat if necessary. It really comes down to your own risk tolerance. If I were to observe only I would probably do so for a few months.

I just have too many fish in my tank that are "hard to keep" and the risk is not worth it to me. The thousands in livestock and all of the hard work maintaining a parasite free system just isn't worth the risk of not using prophylactic copper IMO.

+1 all fish entering my system go through the same 4 step process. Article below

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok thanks, i will continue treating them with copper just in case. Im not risking it again after what happened.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This %110
If you can completely avoid the risk and hassle of catching and treating later, why not put the extra effort in now :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back