Copper treatment and TT into new system question

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So we are currently in the process of building our new tank and were going to treat all our fish from our old system with copper power as we have seen signs of ich on them in the past. My question is: should we do the full 30 day treatment or, since the new tank is using none of the same live rock and is all dead rock / sand, transfer them to the new tank after 14 days of treatment? I have never treated with copper before and, while all the fish are eating and healthy, I have read that 30 days can be pretty hard on fish.

The following fish will be treated: Yellow tang, scopas tang, hippo tang, vlamingii tang, copperband butterfly, tomini tang, 2 clowns, midas blenny, foxface

Thanks in advance.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing is being transferred you should be ok with 14 days of treatment. After the transfer though I would do at least a 7 day observation period.

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing is being transferred you should be ok with 14 days of treatment. After the transfer though I would do at least a 7 day observation period.

The only thing going over is the fish. All the new fish added will be quarantined and treated as well. Fish have been in the old tank without rocks just pvc pipe for hiding for about 4 months and have not shown any signs of ich since we moved but would rather be safe with the 14 day treatment before they go into the new tank. Thank you for your input!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper are you going to use? What is your intended level of copper going to be? How will you test your copper levels?
I would recommend Copper Power at 2.0ppm and if you have or can get one a Hanna high range copper tester. Let’s make sure the blenny will be ok in copper though. @HotRocks @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper are you going to use? What is your intended level of copper going to be? How will you test your copper levels?
I would recommend Copper Power at 2.0ppm and if you have or can get one a Hanna high range copper tester. Let’s make sure the blenny will be ok in copper though. @HotRocks @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth

Copper power and at 2ppm with Hanna checker and will be ramping up over 7days. I found the copper power equation that hotrocks posted I believe for copper power. I was also going to use focus and general cure with selcon in their food for the next weeks as well. I might be able to remove the blenny and use a different type of copper on him if he can’t be copper power. Thank you for your help on this.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power and at 2ppm with Hanna checker and will be ramping up over 7days. I found the copper power equation that hotrocks posted I believe for copper power. I was also going to use focus and general cure with selcon in their food for the next weeks as well. I might be able to remove the blenny and use a different type of copper on him if he can’t be copper power. Thank you for your help on this.

Sounds good and I’m pretty sure the Blenny would be. Ok but let’s wait to get a 2nd opinion to be sure.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine and I agree with your assessment :)

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if bacteria from a seeded sponge filter does fine with copper power? i.e. to keep ammonia from building up.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if bacteria from a seeded sponge filter does fine with copper power? i.e. to keep ammonia from building up.
It should yes. If you add a little biospira you will definitely be good. I use it in all of my QTs and don't ever have registering ammonia.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back