Copper treatment not working

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reactions here Mujimran are really ideal. you're willing to get the right gear and set it up and its really nice to see. LFS don't assist the public very well in making predictions about this need, but they do have the items for sale after the fact. I wish LFS used signage or other means of communicating how dirty the fish they sell are lol

I'll have to watch others respond on the meds/best approaches here

but what I can help with: quick cycling any quarantine setup you want where free ammonia will not kill the fish that's for sure.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One trick for the API kit - mix up five gallons of new seawater. Add exactly the right amount of Copper Power. Aerate for an hour and test. Take a picture of it over a piece of white paper. This is your target for your tank. Forget the color chart, you know this dose is correct. (Then, just use that water to do a partial change, just so you don’t waste it).
I suspect that your copper has been running too low.
Jay

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do as I proposed earlier. If have a fish store nearby you could be up and running in a couple hours. It’s your call though as only you know your situation. A few hours likely aren’t gonna matter but another day might for sure.

Good luck. You can remove copper later.

Had work all day so couldn’t run to lfs.

I added more Cu after my post earlier and within 20mts the flame angel came back from the dead. Yay!

Attachments

• 6ACD41BB-5CD2-4867-B8DF-DD75B11DAF4B.jpeg
    6ACD41BB-5CD2-4867-B8DF-DD75B11DAF4B.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I added more Cu after my post earlier and within 20mts the flame angel came back from the dead. Yay!

I added more Cu after my post earlier and within 20mts the flame angel came back from the dead. Yay!ai do have a 10g tank but

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel died
I didn't want to say it yesterday, but copper doesn't work that fast. I suspect that the flame angel just got a temporary "boost" of energy from you working around the tank. Sorry.....

Jay

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are desperate you can also try hydrogen peroxide dosing, although it is still experimental. I would say risks are lower for you though without inverts or corals to potentially harm.

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. At this point the rest of the fishes are doing fine. Had moved them to a container so no rocks or sand to absorb. Going to leave the display tank empty for a month to get rid of all ich and the eggs etc

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I remove the rocks too? Maybe later I can add them back once the copper completely removes from the rock. I got cuprisorb for copper removal later
The rocks should have been removed before using copper

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not a month but generally 1-2 weeks as long as youre at therapuetic level and as indicated, a reliable test kit is of importance to monitor levels. Coppersafe would be my choice.
he reason this approach takes so long is because copper only targets the free swimming stage. Again, While 7-14 days is the “norm” to reach this stage, certain strains of Marine Ich have a prolonged life cycle. Indeed, even 30 days may not be sufficient in some rare cases.
Also, always increase oxygen during ANY treatment

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally fallow is for 76 days.
Just to note. . New fallow standard is now 45-60. I would however go with higher when it comes to Velvet

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to note. . New fallow standard is now 45-60. I would however go with higher when it comes to Velvet

Getting the fish moved was the hard part, Will stay fallow for 60-70 days. Thats a long time though

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did not know that. Any idea why it changed? It's not like the life cycle of ich has changed?
Temperature was found to play a key and raising aquarium temperature to 27C/80.6F can shorten the Ich fallow period to 6 weeks. Two studies now suggest that raising temp to 30C/86F can shorten the fallow period to just 2 weeks, but others show cooler water 76 deg can shorten their life cycle also. Confusing it is but raising temps has been successful.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back