Copperband Butterfly Easy To Keep?

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a copperband butterfly to help with my aptasias problem. Before I purchased him I saw him eating frozen mysis and brine shrimp. In my tank he did not touch the aptasias so I tried feeding him frozen mysis and brine shrimp and he wouldn't touch it. :( Unfortunately this morning it didn't make it. Anyone have success in keep this type of fish as well as offer suggestions.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB's are tricky fish. I haven't had any long term success with them. The longest I've had one for was about 2 years.

Suggestions...

Get a healthy specimen that is eating prepared foods.

Quarantine to insure that the fish is healthy and eating and also to keep the other fish from further stressing the CBB out before it gets acclimated.

Have a variety of foods on hand. Just because it ate mysis at the LFS doesn't mean it will eat mysis in your tank. Feed a little bit of everything until you find something it likes. The two that I had both loved blackworms and brine shrimp.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had one in my work tank, however it died also. I think they are a hit or miss fish, no reason why the one at work died, just poof! and it was dead. Dunno, but good luck!!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had mine for 2 years..... upon purchasing him he ate every feather duster and aiptasia in my tank... currently he eats anything i put in the tank mysis, brine, pellets etc..... he also ate my clams and now is picking at my acans..:( be careful what ever you decide...and my lfs uses nuva more prawn roe eggs to get them eating in captivity.. works extremely well....

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that they will readily eat live black worms as well. They can be purchased live at some LFS, but don't live very long in the frige. There was actually a thread over on RC about 6 months ago and Paul B posted some pics of a setup he had to keep them alive.

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody for the replies. Really great info from everybody.

R2R is great.

sfboarders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that was eating at LFS. Ate everything I fed him, pe mysis, brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms then one day he stopped eating and the following day he died. Only had him for 2 weeks.

After 2 months I tried another one. The new one did not eat at the LFS so I took a chance. I busted out the turkey baster and put food right in front of him. The first 2 weeks he did not eat. I thought he was gonna go south but he started to eat everything but prefers frozen bloodworms. Everytime I put the turkey baster in the tank he comes up to it like a dog. He had lympho a few weeks ago and did not eat for days. When it started going away he started to eat again. I've had him for 2 months now. Hoping I can have him for a long time. :)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back