Coral Box Moon led?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen these before or better yet using them on your reef tank? They look like a decent low cost led with pretty nice controllability. I have a 75g 4ft tank that will be mostly sps and lps. Thinking maybe 2 or 3 ov these may work nicely. I currently have 250w MH I plan to use once I start to add corals but the lower heat and engery useage of LED along with the fact MH is a dieing breed has me comsidering changing lighting.
https://www.fish-street.com/coral_box_moon_led_lighting_us_delivery

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge supporter of led fixtures. I switched from MH &t5 about 8 years ago. Most of my leds are even made in China. Up until a couple of months ago I had 4 tanks, so I've had lots of fixtures!

The info for that fixture at that website is so confusing (poor english translation) that I'd never consider buying it. And for about the same cost as 2 of those fixtures you can get Reef Breeders Photon V2+ fixture. Yes, it's made in China by EverGrow, but sold by a US distributor, Reef Breeders who is a sponsor here, has a forum here and provides excellent customer service.

I used the original Photons over my 180g tank for 6 years and never had an issue. I switched tanks and the old fixtures were too big so I got new Photon V2 and they have worked perfectly for the last 2 years. BTW, at 30% white and 80% blue and 18" deep in the tank, I get a PAR of 200. And I think they look as good as any led fixture on the market.

20170223_155902 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreders was selling one variant of this LED before https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fs-wifi-reefbreeders-nano-led-x2-250.295925/

I have own three of the first Coral Box Moon LED. I was very pleased with them. See my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/page-4#post-2924341. The 5 watt white is very powerful - I could not run it over 50 % before my montys high up in the water column shows signs that they did not like it. However - I think that 4 (I had 3 at a similar tank) with the narrow lens is needed for you.

Sincerely Lasse

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen these before or better yet using them on your reef tank? They look like a decent low cost led with pretty nice controllability. I have a 75g 4ft tank that will be mostly sps and lps. Thinking maybe 2 or 3 ov these may work nicely. I currently have 250w MH I plan to use once I start to add corals but the lower heat and engery useage of LED along with the fact MH is a dieing breed has me comsidering changing lighting.

We offer these cheaper than fish street, with stock and warranty service based in Rhode Island. We're also R2R sponsors. You can check out our listing for these lights here: https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/nano-light-plus/

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge supporter of led fixtures. I switched from MH &t5 about 8 years ago. Most of my leds are even made in China. Up until a couple of months ago I had 4 tanks, so I've had lots of fixtures!

The info for that fixture at that website is so confusing (poor english translation) that I'd never consider buying it. And for about the same cost as 2 of those fixtures you can get Reef Breeders Photon V2+ fixture. Yes, it's made in China by EverGrow, but sold by a US distributor, Reef Breeders who is a sponsor here, has a forum here and provides excellent customer service.

I used the original Photons over my 180g tank for 6 years and never had an issue. I switched tanks and the old fixtures were too big so I got new Photon V2 and they have worked perfectly for the last 2 years. BTW, at 30% white and 80% blue and 18" deep in the tank, I get a PAR of 200. And I think they look as good as any led fixture on the market.

20170223_155902 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr
Hey thanks for sharing. I have been considering the Photon V2+, it gets good reviews and I know it grows sps. However the cost of the Photon is more than even 3 of the Coral Box Moon fixtures, I may need that many to light a ft sps tank. $649 vs $510, however price is just 1 factor but it is my limiting factor for lighting.
Did you ever check how much PAR these lights produced on your tank?

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, but I don't remember the numbers. I'd do some testing for you but my remote got soaked in water and I won't have a replacement until Thursday, July 12th. If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I am, my normal midday intensity is 30% white and 80% on both blues, no red or green and only 20% violet. At the sand, 18" deep in the water the PAR was just under 200 which is about where I want it. I seem to remember turning everything up to 100% just as a test and at the sand had a PAR of 400, but I'm not sure that's right. If you want PAR values on Friday, let me know and I'll do them for you.

Christian_N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have four of theese over my Red Sea Reefer 450. Very satisfied with them! In the box there is a bracket for mounting on the tank and wires for haning complete with transformer and all you need.

I have even written a manual for them because i thought the manual that came with the LEDs where crap :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/manual-for-coral-box-moon-led.321052/

AD3E7BDF-C5FB-4645-872D-7DBB0CEE5B2B.jpeg

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a couple of these as supplements for my 36” t5 hybrid utilizing mostly the whites to balance blue+ & actinic t5’s.. the price is right and I’ve been impressed with other CoralBox products I have purchased so far

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, but I don't remember the numbers. I'd do some testing for you but my remote got soaked in water and I won't have a replacement until Thursday, July 12th. If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I am, my normal midday intensity is 30% white and 80% on both blues, no red or green and only 20% violet. At the sand, 18" deep in the water the PAR was just under 200 which is about where I want it. I seem to remember turning everything up to 100% just as a test and at the sand had a PAR of 400, but I'm not sure that's right. If you want PAR values on Friday, let me know and I'll do them for you.
That would be great and highly appreciated.
@Lasse have you checked the PAR of your light? These are the ones I am wondering about PAR.

Christian_N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a couple of these as supplements for my 36” t5 hybrid utilizing mostly the whites to balance blue+ & actinic t5’s.. the price is right and I’ve been impressed with other CoralBox products I have purchased so far

I don’t have any other CoralBox products but I’m really satisfied with theese lights. Hope you’ll be pleased with them!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have these lights anymore - and the one I had was of the first generation - but I did some PAR readings when I had them. As I said before - the white (5 W Cree) is very powerful of some reason that seems not be connected to PAR readings. I run the whites at max 40 % - if I get higher my montipora (10 cm below water surface) protest. My PAR readings at the bottom was around 80 - 100 (90 degree lens) but in some way it seems like the corals thrive with these lights at around 120 W (normal running). What I loved with these lights was the fact that I could vary the output in different parts of the aquarium. You are able to adjust all of them to the same schedule but you can adjust the in a individual mode too but you need to remember your programming because the app do not "read" the actual fixture - it show only the last programming schedule

When I run nearly 400 W with my PS fixture - I did not get 4 times better effect. My aquarium is 80 gallon and have a depth of around 18 " I´m using an old DIY PAR meter - I will try to borrow a good one for my LED I have at this moment (I have changed to GHL Mitras LED bar 2)

I have a feeling that Coral Box is more a "quality" brand compared with some other products from China - I run a Coral Box D500 plus protein skimmer and is very pleased with that.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Coral Box skimmer and although it hasn't been used yet (my sump isn't running yet), the quality of the parts and the fit and finish as I put it together was well beyond what I expected. If it works half as good as it assembled, I'll be a happy camper!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Coral Box skimmer and although it hasn't been used yet (my sump isn't running yet), the quality of the parts and the fit and finish as I put it together was well beyond what I expected. If it works half as good as it assembled, I'll be a happy camper!

I´m very pleased with mine. But remember that the needle wheel is rather sensitive for imbalance. sometimes very small pieces of my chaeto goes into the skimmer and get trapped there. This will cause a noise that disappear when I clean the needle wheel.

Sincerely Lasse

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last skimmer was EXTREMELY sensitive to water level. I'm hoping this one is a bit less sensitive.

Hector De Jesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have four of theese over my Red Sea Reefer 450. Very satisfied with them! In the box there is a bracket for mounting on the tank and wires for haning complete with transformer and all you need.

I have even written a manual for them because i thought the manual that came with the LEDs where crap :)

do you mind sharing what your lighting schedule is? I can not keep sps alive with these lights. I may have the lights too bright.

Radioaktivni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

HI, I just bought one moon box. Can you please tell me how much it is best to set up colors on it for aquarium 50x35x35cm it's nano. Mostly soft and zoanthus. Thenk you!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back