Coral ID?

whatisthiscoral

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this piece at goodwill. No idea what kind of coral this is. Someone glued dead butterflies to it and placed it in an acrylic display box. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.
20190902_095712.jpg
 
I found this piece at goodwill. No idea what kind of coral this is. Someone glued dead butterflies to it and placed it in an acrylic display box. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.
20190902_095712.jpg
Looks like plastic. Welcome to R2R by the way!
 
It's not smoot at all, almost like an extremely fine grit sandpaper. And it was not in water when I bought it. Definitely not alive.
 
It's not smoot at all, almost like an extremely fine grit sandpaper. And it was not in water when I bought it. Definitely not alive.
Huh. Not an Acro then. I at least know that much. I still suspect it is plastic. Dead coral is white in my experience.
 
It appears to have had other organisms growing on it at one point. And a sea shell looks like it was absorbed into the coral? It's weird but fascinating. By far my best goodwill find in years!

15674460572736808274992567285874.jpg 15674461162906340532889055076389.jpg
 
It appears to have had other organisms growing on it at one point. And a sea shell looks like it was absorbed into the coral? It's weird but fascinating. By far my best goodwill find in years!

15674460572736808274992567285874.jpg 15674461162906340532889055076389.jpg
It’s a cool find, I just don’t think it is a real coral. It was probably in somebody’s tank and that is why there are the tubes and barnacle-ish things.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new