Coral/Invert Quarantine Time Frames

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, of course.

Quick question - does Bayer or other dip kill free swimmers ? Not tomonts. I understand it does not do that.

My question is after the 76 day QT, we are free to add the frags or whatever to the DT. However, if we had put other inverts/corals into QT, then the clock would be reset as there is the possibility of free swimmers being transported with the residual water on the specimen being transferred from QT to DT, even if you are rinsing a coral frag thoroughly with tank water. However, if you ran them through another dip before going DT, would that kill off any free swimmers and eliminate that risk, thereby removing the "clock reset" ?

Aren't they just a form of crustacean so susceptible?
Dips, as a general rule are not 100% effective at controlling the targeted organism.

Ich isn’t the only fish disease that can be transferred on corals and other “wet” things moved tank to tank. The worst is Neobenedenia fluke eggs - dips, even chlorine, doesn’t affect them. These eggs have sticky tendrils and hang on to hard objects. Even one egg can start an infection. If the corals are isolated for 30 days, the eggs would be forced to hatch out (15 days) and then the larva will have died out.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips, as a general rule are not 100% effective at controlling the targeted organism.

Ich isn’t the only fish disease that can be transferred on corals and other “wet” things moved tank to tank. The worst is Neobenedenia fluke eggs - dips, even chlorine, doesn’t affect them. These eggs have sticky tendrils and hang on to hard objects. Even one egg can start an infection. If the corals are isolated for 30 days, the eggs would be forced to hatch out (15 days) and then the larva will have died out.
great answer. Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back