Coral/Invert Quarantine Time Frames

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just to probe this one a little further because I might be an oddball I'm planning for my first additions to be coral. If I don't plan to add fish for 76 days after my last coral addition then it sounds like I'll be fine doing a Bayer and/or CoralRX (I've read of some doing both for safety) then adding straight to the tank?

That should take care if coral pests and bugs and well as ich/velvet?

It still feels risky, I guess, but I'm always willing to stand on the side of science.
That should take care of coral pests but not ich/velvet. Your plan to add all your coral first and wait 76 days before fish addition is sound.

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit confused about the minimum coral QT time to avoid marine velvet (I am ignoring ich since my DT is already infected unfortunately).
Is it 16 days of QT time then rinse the coral with DT water?

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cleaner shrimp in a fishless coral/invert QT for about 2 weeks. He molted a few days ago but I didn’t move him to the DT right away. Is it safe to move him now? Or should I wait for another molt? New coral was added to the tank after me molted.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

When rinsing urchins- do you have to get all the sand grains off, since they might have tomonts attached?

I have 2 short spine purple urchins that I’ve rinsed 5 times in 1/2 gallon Nsw after a 2 hour drip acclimation. They are currently in a 10 gallon QT and are chowing down on some nori— but would like to move them to the DT.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @HotRocks @anyone

Here’s what I assumed were sand particles—

0ea9ffe563d698748b208d470a2d0d99.jpg

Now I’m not too sure. They seem too round and are waving around. I’ve just never seen these on an urchin before, but all 7 at the store had them

Safe to go into DT?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @HotRocks @anyone

Here’s what I assumed were sand particles—

0ea9ffe563d698748b208d470a2d0d99.jpg

Now I’m not too sure. They seem too round and are waving around. I’ve just never seen these on an urchin before, but all 7 at the store had them

Safe to go into DT?

I am by no means an expert in urchins. I can tell it is a shortspine, and the tentacles look normal. My longspine and pincushions have the same. Just make sure you do a very thorough rinse prior to transfer. As if you did transfer sand with them you could potentially move a tomont. Unlikely but possible.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means an expert in urchins. I can tell it is a shortspine, and the tentacles look normal. My longspine and pincushions have the same. Just make sure you do a very thorough rinse prior to transfer. As if you did transfer sand with them you could potentially move a tomont. Unlikely but possible.

Awesome, thanks for the response

These guys were rinsed pretty hard in 5 x 1/2 gal of DT water, then put in a cycled but empty QT tank overnight. I figured if they were sand particles, they might shed them overnight but they are still attached.

I’ll do a few more rinsed and pop them in the DT.

Thanks!!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cleaner shrimp in a fishless coral/invert QT for about 2 weeks. He molted a few days ago but I didn’t move him to the DT right away. Is it safe to move him now? Or should I wait for another molt? New coral was added to the tank after me molted.

If you added something new AFTER he molted, then yes, I’d wait until after another molt. You may have brought something in on the coral

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a sea hare has no shell can we do simply 16 days ? TTM corals anyone ?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added something new AFTER he molted, then yes, I’d wait until after another molt. You may have brought something in on the coral
My thoughts exactly.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar question.. I have 2 peppermint shrimp in quarantine, one has molted but I don't know which one so if I wait till I see another molt will it be safe to move both to display. I havnt added anything since adding both shrimp.
Also, how big a risk would it be to go ahead and move both to display without waiting on the other to molt? I have a bit of an aiptasia issue in the display and want to get them in there asap

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
humble fish... thoughts on TTM for seahare? thinking of a 20 gallon tub.. fill with water heat the tub... in the tub put five 1/2 gallon buckets plastic.. and every three days transfer the seahare from one to the other and dispose of the used one.. That way temp is the same all the time.. water is always the same also.. no need to worry about non acclimation to new vessel.

If TTM works for a fish why not for seahare.. and perhaps Coral Frags?

Thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hare just needs to be QTd in a fishless tank, no ttm necessary.

As far as corals go. Ttm does not accelerate the QT process. They can have tomonts encysted upon them releasing free swimmers.

Ttm is to allow the trophonts (attached to fish) to fall off and then they are transferred prior to free swimmers being released. So essentially you are dodging free swimmers with TTM.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hot rocks.. thank for the post.. but fishless QT will be like 76 days. TTM is much shorter.. 15 days.. I really need to get some algea eaters into me DT.. Thoughts. thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hot rocks.. thank for the post.. but fishless QT will be like 76 days. TTM is much shorter.. 15 days.. I really need to get some algea eaters into me DT.. Thoughts. thanks

Absolute minimum is 45 days. It's a mollusk. There just isn't enough research on them to be sure otherwise.

Trophonts won't attach to them so TTM doesn't avoid the tomont that could be encysted upon them releasing free swimmers.

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have QT and treated every fish and let the DT to be fishless for 83 days. Now fish are in DT for 70 days after the fallow period and I haven't seen any sign of ich or fluke. Occasionally Hippo Tang and Midas Blenny will flash to rock/sand one or two times a day, but I think their skin are just irritated by the way they sleep inside tight rock space. I have a small coral QT and I am playing it safe to count 76 days after the last coral added. It is hard to do this way since you need to stop buying coral and start counting 76 days. I am at 37 days mark, still 40 days to go without buying any coral!

I recently introduced Berghia Nudibranch from Salty Underground to My DT due to Aptiasia outbreak. This is the only invert I didn't QT. I couldn't find a way to feed these nudi Aptiasia while in a separate QT for 76 days, so I took the chance. My procedure was to rinse nudi for 3 times, with discarding the rinsed water every single time. I also tried to introduced as lees water after rinse as possible into my DT. Now it's been 9 days since nudi added and I haven't noticed any ich to be introduced. Knock on wood.

I actually emailed salty underground regarding this issue exactly because I was afraid as well and they assured me that they breed their nudis in separate containers with no fish/anything to do with fish. So I would say you're perfectly safe with that...

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hotrocks.. how would a Tomont attach itself to a seahar.

Seahares have not outer shell like a snail. Tomonts need a hard surface to attach top which is why TTM is inplemented and fish transferred every 72 hour or less.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hotrocks.. how would a Tomont attach itself to a seahar.

Seahares have not outer shell like a snail. Tomonts need a hard surface to attach top which is why TTM is inplemented and fish transferred every 72 hour or less.
I'm not saying it will for certain. There is not enough research on them to be safe to say they can be TTM'd. I personally wouldn't risk it. Obviously that is your decision to make.

Doesn't make sense to take a chance when you can simply allow them to be in a fallow tank for 45-76 days.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back