Coral lights

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of great lights for corals, however we need to know more about your setup before we can provide solid advice.

What are the dimensions? ( will tell us how large a spread you need, and how deep you need the light to penetrate )

What coral do you plan to keep? ( will tell us how intense lighting needs to be )

and finally, what is your budget? ( for obvious reasons, there are several thousand dollar lights out there and you may not want to spend that )

some general suggestions:

Radion makes kind of the top end, however they are very highly priced.

Kessil also makes some stellar lights, however they dont come with built in controllers, and are still fairly expensive.

Aqua Illumination also makes a wide arry of great lights, many people go with them for all sizes of tanks.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best budget options that would allow you to grow pretty much anything would be either 2 Noopsyche V3 K7s (wait for one of their frequent sales), or three AI Prime 16 HDs (or 2 of their Hydra 32s, but 3 of the primes will be less expensive). If you are a beginner, the app/controller of the AI Primes is much, much more user friendly than the Noopsyche (the controller is pretty unintuitive, but not too bad once you get used to it). Both are high quality light at comparatively budget friendly prices. Unless you plan on only keeping soft corals and low light LPS, I would avoid any LED strip lights, they’re just not going to have enough power to penetrate to the bottom of your tank. With the Noopsyches, if you get them on sale, you could light your tank for around $400. The AI Primes would be around $700 new (used they got for around $150, so $450 for 3). You could probably find less expensive T5 or metal halide fixtures, but once you factor in bulb replacements every 9 months, LEDs are much less expensive in the long run (fixtures usually last at least 5 years). I would suggest doing a deep dive and do a lot of research before buying anything, you don’t need to rush into buying anything. It’s also better to save up and buy quality lighting than to buy some of the cheaper options (Noopsyches are definitely a budget option, but they are much better than something like a Viparspectra black box).

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I used to have a tank with those exact dimensions, and I will say even in freshwater it was hard to light that deep.

Both members above have provided very valid options, I would sway more on the side on leds as they are smaller, sleeker, take less power, and are much more readily available. ( I have not had experience with t5 or any other lights for that matter though )

In your case I would probably go with AI prime 16hds ( or preferably 32's if you are okay with the price ) as they are one of the most widely used options, and have a great user interface, but if those are too much for you price wise then the noopshye would be a great option too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back