Coral mounting questions.

bychance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get corals off of frag plugs and glued to my LR. I've never been a fan of having frags plugs. With that said, I have a few questions.

I have a button scoly. It is not mounted perfectly flat, there is a slight angle to the coral on the LR. As my water parameters are becoming more steady and the corals are showing much more expansion I am noticing the lower side of the scoly is slightly sagging or the lower side hangs a bit as it is expanded. It's not extreme nor is it showing signs of not being happy, but I am wondering if this is a cause for concern. The soft flesh hanging or drooping slightly, will the skeleton effect the soft flesh?

When adding a chalice.... how do you mount chalices. All the chalice I've seen are left on frag disk and grow as a plate, typically on the sand bed. How will it grow if mounted to rock? Will it encrust the rock or grow out as a plate like a montipora (possibly causing a shadowed area below)?

Any other suggestions for mounting LPS to live rock. Any does and don'ts would be appreciated.
Any corals that must be mounted perfectly flat?
Pictures would be awesome!

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good success with removal from the plug with a scalpel. It usually pops right off.

I would not worry about the scoly if it's "puffy". They kinda "flow like drapery" over their skeletons. I have a fungia plate that does something similar to what you are describing and it's perfectly happy and healthy. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Chalices....so I always like mine to grow like....OUT and AWAY from the rock, I usually find a spot to mount the disc with it kinda half on an edge and half off, using shade/light to get it to grow away by making it want to go towards the light. If that makes any sense....a chalice coral will start by encrusting the plug and flowing away and then over any rock work, unlike an encrusting coral though the plate will widen and not droop over rock structure, it will continue to grow flat/out until it gets it's dinner plate look.

I hope this helps. Hard to describe.

Mini_Raven77

Addicted to reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good success with removal from the plug with a scalpel. It usually pops right off.

I would not worry about the scoly if it's "puffy". They kinda "flow like drapery" over their skeletons. I have a fungia plate that does something similar to what you are describing and it's perfectly happy and healthy. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Chalices....so I always like mine to grow like....OUT and AWAY from the rock, I usually find a spot to mount the disc with it kinda half on an edge and half off, using shade/light to get it to grow away by making it want to go towards the light. If that makes any sense....a chalice coral will start by encrusting the plug and flowing away and then over any rock work, unlike an encrusting coral though the plate will widen and not droop over rock structure, it will continue to grow flat/out until it gets it's dinner plate look.

I hope this helps. Hard to describe.
I have an Avatar chalice mounted like you are describing.. Give the chalice plant of room bc they have some long sweepers. Also, I use BRS coral gum and super glue to mount coral to the live rock. I make a small ball of coral gum into a donut shape and place it on the bottom of the plug (snap off the stem) and then put super glue in the center. Push it onto the live rock where you want it. The epoxy will hold it in place while the superglue cures.

20211212_105456.jpg 20220107_061559.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back