Coral placement under euphyllia???

Amandakayphoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Just wondering if there are any corals that would be okay to try placing in the space underneath a branching frogspawn? There is a good deal of space underneath the overhang of its branches, and it would be nice if there was something that could take up some of that space. Given their aggressive behavior, etc., any thoughts on what might do okay there or should I just leave it open?

There are some nearby palys/zoas (plus some darn GHA...) that seem to be A-OK.

20210728_122810.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms do fine in low light, can be invasive over time.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do the tentacles do when your pumps are off? I’ve tried the same and have not fared well due to that exact problem… everything is fine as long as the flow is good. When the pumps are off the tentacles would be more floppy and destroy anything underneath.
As for coral, I agree with others. Mushrooms or a low light encruster.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do the tentacles do when your pumps are off? I’ve tried the same and have not fared well due to that exact problem… everything is fine as long as the flow is good. When the pumps are off the tentacles would be more floppy and destroy anything underneath.
As for coral, I agree with others. Mushrooms or a low light encruster.
Frogspwn tentacles are pretty puffy, vs torches for example.
Not much droop.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn will send out multiple inch sweepers just like a torch and hammer. They are no less aggressive. I had to pull stingers from a frog spawn out of a elegance this week that sits 6 inches away.
Sorry for your troubles.
We have 3 frogspawns that are 3 inches above a 1 foot bubble coral and see no sweepers. Both are retracted at night, so more distance when deflated.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frogspawn really shouldn't be able to do any damage to a bubble coral. With that said a bubble also shouldn't be able to damage a frog spawn hammer or torch, and I've got a basketball sized bubble that has killed them all.

I would be the most comfortable putting euphylia within range. Mushrooms aren't safe either ime.

OP
OP
Amandakayphoto

Amandakayphoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frogspawn really shouldn't be able to do any damage to a bubble coral. With that said a bubble also shouldn't be able to damage a frog spawn hammer or torch, and I've got a basketball sized bubble that has killed them all.

I would be the most comfortable putting euphylia within range. Mushrooms aren't safe either ime.

Thanks for all the info!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back