Coral Spotlight | Bubble Coral

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble corals, also known by their common name, bubble coral, are a stunning addition to any reef tank. Their vibrant colors and unique bubble-like structures make them a favorite among aquarists. But, ensuring that these delicate creatures thrive in your aquarium requires specific care and attention. Let's delve into the key factors you need to consider to create the perfect environment for your bubble coral.

Understanding the Basics: Bubble Coral Care 101​

Bubble coral is generally known to be quite tolerant, but maintaining stable alkalinity is crucial for its survival. Let's explore some essential care tips that can help you ensure a thriving environment for your bubble coral.

Feeding Your Bubble Coral: A Delicate Balancing Act​

Bubble coral can extend large and sometimes aggressive feeding tentacles, making it essential to provide them with the right kind of nourishment. These corals can be fed through broadcast or direct suspension matter feeding. Additionally, they readily accept pellets and other meat-based foods, especially when placed on their extended bubbles or tentacles.

Shedding Light on Lighting Requirements​

When it comes to lighting, most bubble corals prefer moderate levels. However, they can adapt to varying conditions, so you have some flexibility in this aspect. If you're considering increasing the lighting conditions, it's crucial to do so gradually, ensuring a smooth transition for your delicate bubble coral.

Water Flow: Maintaining the Right Balance​

Maintaining a lower to moderate water flow is essential to prevent any damage to the coral's large, fleshy polyps. By ensuring the appropriate water flow, you can protect your bubble coral and provide it with a conducive environment for growth.

Placement Matters: A Critical Consideration​

Given the aggressive nature of bubble corals, it's crucial to place them strategically, where they cannot harm other corals with their stings. Providing adequate space for the polyps to expand without any obstruction is vital to ensuring their well-being and preventing any damage.

Exploring the Quirks: Day vs. Night Behavior​

Did you know that bubble corals exhibit intriguing behavior during the day and night? The large inflatable bubbles that mesmerize us during the day transform into long feeder tentacles at night. This dual adaptation is believed to optimize light capture during the day and food capture at night. To promote their well-being, consider feeding your bubble coral after lights-off to ensure they receive adequate nutrition.

In Conclusion: Nurturing Your Bubble Coral​

Maintaining a thriving environment for your bubble coral involves understanding its unique needs and providing the right balance of lighting, water flow, and feeding. By following these guidelines, you can create a vibrant and healthy ecosystem for your bubble coral, allowing it to showcase its mesmerizing beauty to the fullest. With the right care and attention, your bubble coral can become the star of your reef tank, captivating all who gaze upon its enchanting presence.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common names: Bubble coral

Difficulty Level: Bubble Coral is generally tolerant, but must have stable alkalinity to survive.

Feeding: Bubble coral can extend large aggressive feeding tentacles which may be fed through broadcast or direct suspension matter feeding. They will also readily accept pellets and other large meat based foods if placed on extended bubbles or tentacles.

Lighting (Level 6 to 8): Most prefer moderate lighting, but will adapt to varying conditions. As with all hard coral, take care to move them slowly into increased lighting conditions.

Water flow: Lower to moderate flow is best to keep from damaging this corals large fleshy polyps.

Placement: Bubbles coral is very aggressive and should be placed where it can not sting other corals. Be sure to leave space for the polyps to expand without being brushed against rocks.

General: The big inflatable bubbles seen during the day turn in to long feeder tentacles at night. It’s thought that the bubbles expand to best capture light during the day, but are then adapted to best capture food at night. Feeding after lights off may help get this coral eating well.

https://captivecoral.net/portfolio/bubble-coral/
9f8aebcea0df93fddab9d6902e920a90.jpg
7188c6eac323c0674cf4b70f0e4e38ee.jpg
71dc0d8d006d241d29b686c17ead0b61.jpg
fbfefece7260ce23d57a6d6c25ace1f8.jpg

Like the spotlight! Great write up!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back