Coralline algae introduction

Jerry Ebner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start to cure about 60 pounds of rock. I have limited space and have been putting it off for weeks. My new build is going slow. On my first tank Coralline algae must have come in on a frag because I didn't have it and the live rock that I started with didn't have it that I know of and went almost a year without it. Got the pest start fish so this new tank dry stand dry rock. Trying to avoid pest

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates?
im just over 4 weeks now and ive seen no indication whatsoever of a new species of coralline in my tank. Still just the original light purple ive always had. I just added a phosphate reactor because ive always had a slight bit of nuisance algae, but nothing bad, and my original coralline still grew. Maybe with less phosphates, coralline will pick up. But up to this point, im not impressed:( my bottle got delivered during a frigid cold snap. @ARCreef said as long as it doesnt freeze, it would be fine. Maybe it did freeze at some point, before i got it, and i got a dud. I recently added a koralia to my tank, and it already has a little of my original purple coralline on it. So im starting to suspect my bottle was dead.

Last edited:

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Yea I bet that will be a common theme for folks in the northern part of the country. maybe better to order during the spring/summer

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduced on January 22nd. Green is what I currently see so far.
cd3a6d3b7bf534759bf8152b6025e733.jpg

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced the product on January 1, before leaving on vacation on February 1st I had two small spots of green coraline algae about the size of a nickel and dime respectively.. Upon returning on February 10th the growth had exploded. Not only do I now have some spots of purple and green I even have it growing on the glass. Took the product about 40 days but some serious results for what I can see.

IMG-3281.JPG IMG-3285.JPG IMG-3289.JPG

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a lot of growth. A lot of red but also a lot of bright green. It’s kinda concerning. I did not want green. I don’t know if it’s photosynthetic green algae or just from the bottle. Seems like other people are getting bright green on amazon review. I have the rocks under 7k bulbs so I guess we will see what happened when it’s under my led lighting.

D926AAF8-CC41-4C35-99AB-7D5BF7F9F980.jpeg

5D5DA467-6649-4927-A791-FBAB537EBFFB.jpeg

How's the rock looking?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you guys recommend trying this out?

Yes for sure. I wanted and used complete dry rock; I didnt want to deal with hitchhikers. I also did not want to wait for Coraline from snail shells and frag plugs to take over a year to get any noticeable coverage.

This product is also packaged with nitrifying bacteria. If you're gonna pay for a bacterial booster might as well get some coraline in there as well. I am very happy with the results thus far.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's working, I do have a lot of green coraline. I dont care for the green but thats just me. I talked with the owner and he said green is not in the bottle but everyone I have talked to that used it, it sure is... I do have purple and reds coming in. I also got a piece of coraline from my LFS.

Does it work? Sure! Just be ready for different colors then just purple.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's working, I do have a lot of green coraline. I dont care for the green but thats just me. I talked with the owner and he said green is not in the bottle but everyone I have talked to that used it, it sure is... I do have purple and reds coming in. I also got a piece of coraline from my LFS.

Does it work? Sure! Just be ready for different colors then just purple.

I could have swore I read somewhere that it called out "all variety of colors" including green... you had someone tell you green wasnt in the bottle? I would 100% agree that every post I've seen has had some green in it.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great to see. I'm optimistic. I didn't know if greens were a form of coralline also so I emailed ARC to see about that. Appreciate the update.
If your not pleased with this method, try the Purple up to. I've had great result using that over the last 15 or so years. Also X2 on searching LFS's for snails and hermits that have purple on them. If they do, gently brush them in your DT with a toothbrush to spread the coraline.

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not pleased with this method, try the Purple up to. I've had great result using that over the last 15 or so years. Also X2 on searching LFS's for snails and hermits that have purple on them. If they do, gently brush them in your DT with a toothbrush to spread the coraline.
Is purple up a booster only or is there spores in there too?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is purple up a booster only or is there spores in there too?

Its just a calcium booster, no spores. I also use it with the other stuff to "feed it" just make sure you check your calcium levels before dosing.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have swore I read somewhere that it called out "all variety of colors" including green... you had someone tell you green wasnt in the bottle? I would 100% agree that every post I've seen has had some green in it.

The owner told me, no green just different colors of purple. I seen green in every tank. He wants me to send sample but I know what it is lol

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I did start with dry marco rock and feel like it will take forever to get some coraline in there. However I don't think I would want to add green coraline to my setup.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back