Coralline Algae Tolerance Without Light

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently cycled my 45 gallon all in one tank and added my first inhabitants: a pair of clownfish and a Mexican turbo snail. The Mexican turbo snail has some coralline algae growing on its shell and I was hoping to use it to seed the tank rock, consisting of Caribe Sea live sand and BRS Marco dry rock.

I won’t be turning the lights on for another few weeks, and have been supplementing the snail’s diet temporarily with dried nori seaweed. Will the coralline algae on the snails shell die without the lights on?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently cycled my 45 gallon all in one tank and added my first inhabitants: a pair of clownfish and a Mexican turbo snail. The Mexican turbo snail has some coralline algae growing on its shell and I was hoping to use it to seed the tank rock, consisting of Caribe Sea live sand and BRS Marco dry rock.

I won’t be turning the lights on for another few weeks, and have been supplementing the snail’s diet temporarily with dried nori seaweed. Will the coralline algae on the snails shell die without the lights on?
Feeding the Turbo is a very good idea. I would not stop though. They have tremendous appetites which increase as they grow.

As for the coralline, in general, no illumination kills algae. Not a big deal because you can introduce it later.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back