Corner tank lighting

TCristaldi85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I’m new. I’m setting up a saltwater tank with corals. I have a 54gal. corner tank. I’m very unsure what lighting to choose that won’t break the bank. Can you help?

8E277D24-F39D-4DEC-BF9E-A28464C54D36.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first allow me to say, welcome to Reef2Reef!
great-place-to-drop-anchor.jpg

The variety of light fixtures you could pick is almost endless these days!

Do you know what kind of corals you want to keep (zoas, softies, lps, sps, mixed reef)?

Have you considered what type of light fixture you want (MH, t5, led, hybrid)?

Do you have a budget in mind?

I'd look at some black box leds like Mars Aqua or Viparspectra if you want good light spectrum at a budget price ($100 to $150) and don't care about fancy extras that make a fixture fun to play with, but really don't do anything extra for the coral.

Or there are a handful of fixtures that have multiple channels (6 to 9) of color control and do slow ramp up and down of intensity to simulate sunrise and sunset. But these features do cost a lot more (2 to 7 times more) and as stated above, really make no difference to the corals. But they can be fun for humans to play with!

I'm one who enjoys playing and I use a Reef Breeders Photon V2+. The 16 or 24 inch would be all you need, but you're looking at $375 or more. And again, the actual light the corals get isn't really any better than a $100 Mars Aqua.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light decision is going to be based on what corals you're planning to keep. Lesson learned if you buy "inexpensive lighting" now you'll end up upgrading later. Personally (and I've seen a similar set-up) I'ld purchase a single Kessil 360 we and that should cover the bases if you plan on SPS coral later. Yes it's an investment but its a more flexible option.

OP
OP
TCristaldi85

TCristaldi85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first allow me to say, welcome to Reef2Reef!
great-place-to-drop-anchor.jpg

The variety of light fixtures you could pick is almost endless these days!

Do you know what kind of corals you want to keep (zoas, softies, lps, sps, mixed reef)?

Have you considered what type of light fixture you want (MH, t5, led, hybrid)?

Do you have a budget in mind?

I'd look at some black box leds like Mars Aqua or Viparspectra if you want good light spectrum at a budget price ($100 to $150) and don't care about fancy extras that make a fixture fun to play with, but really don't do anything extra for the coral.

Or there are a handful of fixtures that have multiple channels (6 to 9) of color control and do slow ramp up and down of intensity to simulate sunrise and sunset. But these features do cost a lot more (2 to 7 times more) and as stated above, really make no difference to the corals. But they can be fun for humans to play with!

I'm one who enjoys playing and I use a Reef Breeders Photon V2+. The 16 or 24 inch would be all you need, but you're looking at $375 or more. And again, the actual light the corals get isn't really any better than a $100 Mars Aqua.

Yes a mix of corals! :) I’m willing to spend 200-300 bucks. I’m just not sure with the light spread. My tanks foot print is 24”x24”
And from the corner to bowed face 24”

The depth of the tank top the bottom is 22”

I’m not sure if I need two LEDs or one LED.
I like Red Reefs light. I’m really looking to find someone with a corner tank and what they are using.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back