Crab did a bad thing

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried emerald crabs twice. Couldn't stay away from my duncans. Caught him with long tweezers and then he became a snow crab. $10.00 loss. Better than losing my coral!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my emerald crabs decided living in paradise wasn't enough for him and committed the worst act of treachery against me. He munched down about 25% of a nice orange setosa colony. I caught him in the act of committing the crime but of course catching him in the rocks is impossible.

So the coral is still very healthy. Will the portions that he stripped bare eventually regenerate new polyps possibly?

Does anyone have a micro spear gun?
You think that's bad!?! I've got an infestation of sea spiders munching at the edges of my LPS, been killing 4 a night and these hell spiders keep on coming.

Do what I do for the spiders, use some forceps and first probe it out into the open and then grab it. You could knock it off the rock and into the sand so it's easier to grab. You have a new sump crab :)

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think that's bad!?! I've got an infestation of sea spiders munching at the edges of my LPS, been killing 4 a night and these hell spiders keep on coming.

Do what I do for the spiders, use some forceps and first probe it out into the open and then grab it. You could knock it off the rock and into the sand so it's easier to grab. You have a new sump crab :)
Has to be something that will eat those things for you

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a genetically altered super crab here with very high intelligence and superior tactics. It's like Bill Murray and the gopher in Caddyshack here at my house with this darn crab. I've tried less lethal tactics but they have all failed.

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with an emerald crab that was munching on my toadstool leather. Ended up putting a piece of shrimp in a fish net and he literally walked right in.

Got another emerald and he never touches the leather. Each has its own little personality.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a genetically altered super crab here with very high intelligence and superior tactics. It's like Bill Murray and the gopher in Caddyshack here at my house with this darn crab. I've tried less lethal tactics but they have all failed.
He’s gotta come out sometime. As long as you can get krusty krab out of there and the setosa survives which I’m sure it will, it’ll lay down new polyps.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with an emerald crab that was munching on my toadstool leather. Ended up putting a piece of shrimp in a fish net and he literally walked right in.

Got another emerald and he never touches the leather. Each has its own little personality.
The area he is doing damage in and ducking in and out of crevices doesn't really allow to place a net like that clos3 to his cave. But I may try to figure out how I can do something like this without catching fish or other crabs.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s gotta come out sometime. As long as you can get krusty krab out of there and the setosa survives which I’m sure it will, it’ll lay down new polyps.
He does come out. Flips me the crab finger and starts eating my coral. As soon as I move to try and grab him with long tweezers he ducks out of sight.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does come out. Flips me the crab finger and starts eating my coral. As soon as I move to try and grab him with long tweezers he ducks out of sight.
That is interesting, I had 3 and at night they would sit on my SPS corals eat something and I swear the corals grew lot better. Maybe kept algae at bay.

My melanurus wrasse eventually ate them all so that can be a solution.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting, I had 3 and at night they would sit on my SPS corals eat something and I swear the corals grew lot better. Maybe kept algae at bay.

My melanurus wrasse eventually ate them all so that can be a solution.
He stripped it of polyps. Love Mel wrasse but can't do one in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back