Crab did a bad thing

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my emerald crabs decided living in paradise wasn't enough for him and committed the worst act of treachery against me. He munched down about 25% of a nice orange setosa colony. I caught him in the act of committing the crime but of course catching him in the rocks is impossible.

So the coral is still very healthy. Will the portions that he stripped bare eventually regenerate new polyps possibly?

Does anyone have a micro spear gun?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my emerald crabs decided living in paradise wasn't enough for him and committed the worst act of treachery against me. He munched down about 25% of a nice orange setosa colony. I caught him in the act of committing the crime but of course catching him in the rocks is impossible.

So the coral is still very healthy. Will the portions that he stripped bare eventually regenerate new polyps possibly?

I caught mine devouring a healthy micromussa. They live in the sump now.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He munched down about 25% of a nice orange setosa colony.
Wow, do you have a picture.

One always hears that it can happen.

I do love Setosa but I have to say it is very temperamental coral. From my experience sometimes they are indestructible and month later you look at them the wrong way and they bleach.

Here is mine, couple months before it bleached:
1706146611954.jpeg

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck with a tall shot glass with a bit of frozen food attached to a frag plug with an elastic. I place the frag plug at the bottom of the glass and lean it against the rocks at a steep angle. I’ve caught several crabs that way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Hate to say but im not surprised nor have I ever trusted these going back to days of my LFS and seeing their unwelcomed behaviors. They dont even do a good job with bubble algae

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, do you have a picture.

One always hears that it can happen.

I do love Setosa but I have to say it is very temperamental coral. From my experience sometimes they are indestructible and month later you look at them the wrong way and they bleach.

Here is mine, couple months before it bleached:
1706146611954.jpeg
I'll get one tomorrow but I saw him earlier continuing to pick at it.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck with a tall shot glass with a bit of frozen food attached to a frag plug with an elastic. I place the frag plug at the bottom of the glass and lean it against the rocks at a steep angle. I’ve caught several crabs that way.
How does this work with hermits, shrimp and crabs in the tank? How would it catch the criminal crab and not the others?

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys can see the damage he did to the base of the setosa. His claws were covered in orange like he was eating cheetos and when I tried to grab him with long tweezers he laughed at me.

Attachments

• 20240125_121635.jpg
    20240125_121635.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 45

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys can see the damage he did to the base of the setosa. His claws were covered in orange like he was eating cheetos and when I tried to grab him with long tweezers he laughed at me.
Mine loves torts! Every night she would climb one and eat polyps and flesh… after watching this go one I was gonna remove it but it died a few days later… thankfully? :expressionless-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back