crab on elegance coral

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just got this elegance coral and found this crab. I think it’s a gall crab and I’ve been reading conflicting information about them. Some articles say they are reef safe while other posts claim they will kill the coral. I’ve also seen posts where someone has removed the crab and the coral dies shortly after. My coral looks super healthy and does not seem to be affected by it so is it better to let the little crab be or try to remove it?

Thank you!
0C2A177D-8FCE-4A60-8EEE-DA0FF6CFB68C.jpeg
A02D025F-214B-4F52-9638-57946662B433.jpeg 95EB2617-32CE-4D7E-A0B8-BDFBA8A1E89E.jpeg

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just got this elegance coral and found this crab. I think it’s a gall crab and I’ve been reading conflicting information about them. Some articles say they are reef safe while other posts claim they will kill the coral. I’ve also seen posts where someone has removed the crab and the coral dies shortly after. My coral looks super healthy and does not seem to be affected by it so is it better to let the little crab be or try to remove it?

Thank you!
0C2A177D-8FCE-4A60-8EEE-DA0FF6CFB68C.jpeg
A02D025F-214B-4F52-9638-57946662B433.jpeg 95EB2617-32CE-4D7E-A0B8-BDFBA8A1E89E.jpeg
Pic is little blur... see if anyone can help u as I know it is hard to take good pics. To me it looks like a good crab

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat lookin fella. Sadly I would pluck it if you didn't willingly add it, or at least quarantine it :(
Thanks for your reply! I tried to get him last night but the coral closed up around him when I tried to grab it with some tweezers. I’ll try again today

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a porcelain anemone crab. Good guy, look it up and see if it matches what you have.
Thanks for the reply! My plan is to let the crab stay there unless I see signs of irritation from the coral. I'm not sure if it's a porcelain crab since its claws seem to be smaller and it doesn't have little dots on it but as long its not causing harm I'll leave it alone.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a porcelain crab to me too. I think @ISpeakForTheSeas could give a solid identification.
I'm not sure in this case - closer up pics may help with an ID here though.

That said, the claws do look too small from what I can see for a porcelain crab. OP, how many pairs of legs can you see on the crab/how many pairs does it use for walking? Porcelain's would have 3 pairs for walking with a fourth basically tucked under their shell, while other crabs have 4 pairs for walking.

Personally, I'm wondering if it might be some kind of gall crab like in the following threads, but - again - I can't tell for sure:

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That said, the claws do look too small from what I can see for a porcelain crab. OP, how many pairs of legs can you see on the crab/how many pairs does it use for walking? Porcelain's would have 3 pairs for walking with a fourth basically tucked under their shell, while other crabs have 4 pairs for walking.

Personally, I'm wondering if it might be some kind of gall crab like in the following threads, but - again - I can't tell for sure:
Thanks! I had seen those posts too and thought my crab looked similar but it’s hard to say for sure. He hasn’t come out as much since the first day I noticed him but I’ll try to get another picture if he comes out!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have nets on its 2 front appendages? Pretty sure that crab is hosting and should not be a problem but get other opinions. If you got an anemone/ porcelain crab that’s awesome!
CACB7FB7-B581-4DB8-9E7D-3065A0AB74B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicroper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could it have possibly lost the larger claws and only possess the 2nd set with fans?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it have possibly lost the larger claws and only possess the 2nd set with fans?
Yeah, that's part of why I asked how many pairs of legs it has that it uses for walking. If the crab only has 3 sets of legs for walking, it's probably a porcelain crab, so the smaller "claws" would be the grooming appendages (periopods):
Granted, the easiest way to tell would be to get the crab, flip it over, and see what (if any) limbs are missing.

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Thanks for your thoughts. I’m really trying to get better pics but he’s really tiny, about 1cm diameter, so the images don’t come out well. He doesn’t move around, just kind of folds the flesh over the coral around him, so I can’t tell how many legs he has or how he walks. I will say the front two legs are tiny claws so I don’t think it’s missing any legs. If I get better images I will post them.
D5413E0C-C76D-4054-A7C8-B20FE43A54C4.jpeg

Attachments

• C39EB816-54EC-486E-8869-DCA0E2C32435.jpeg
    C39EB816-54EC-486E-8869-DCA0E2C32435.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 27

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back