Cracking Radion G5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1586141947153.png

$99.00
1586142073670.png

$840.00

Ecotech.... Your prices and products suck...lol!
" A sucker is born every minute" -P.T. Barnum

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do tell?? Did you have a poor experience with a Gen 1 unit? I was hoping a big company like phillips would have good customer service.

Anyhow, dont want to derail the thread.
I don't want to derail either. I just remember dealing with their customer service on another product that didn't contain the right amount of components and customer service raked me over the coals to get extras sent out. It was not an expensive part and should not have been such a headache but definitely stuck with me. Hopefully their lighting division is different and autonomous :).

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that the torq of the fasteners, or the fastening system itself is the likely cause. That or they could simply change the material of the plastic cover slightly (different glass fill amount) to alter the strength or stiffness.

There are many solutions, but most will still fail if the attachment method is allowing excessive torque on those fasteners and therefore excessive compressive stress on that material. I also wonder, with UV LEDs right there, if UV embrittlement may occur over time to that plastic (obviously not the issue here since this is failure at the other end of the bell curve).
Its a combination of that hole being too close to the edge, the expansion of heat and then sudden cooling down... puts stress on that particular area... any type of plastic that thin will fail in that type of condition... lexan, nylon, plexi, delron, teflon, acrylic or torlon, are the only plastics I know that wouldn’t stress crack in that type of engineered construction under heating/cooling setting... a type of adjustable torque screwdriver on the lowest setting should be used with a type of light viscosity loctite should be used in that construction... the only fix I can see currently is an extended plate that over hangs the parameter of the light a 1/4” or even an 1/8” so it gives the surface area of the counter sink and plate enough pressure to rest on the base of the light without ruining the integrity of the plate itself

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1586141947153.png

$99.00
1586142073670.png

$840.00

Ecotech.... Your prices and products suck...lol!
" A sucker is born every minute" -P.T. Barnum

That is uncalled for and disrespectful to both ecotech and every purchaser of their products.
You are comparing apples to oranges. If you like replacing crappy Chinese products all the time and supporting Shenzhen economy be my guest.
That is totally your decision. I have yet to have an ecotech product fail on me after years of use until I sold it recouped 70 percent of original cost and bought a newer model.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how we would fix the problem with our team, but I dont want Ecotech to get free engineering guidance from me... lol I better get a hookup on a setup for me If thats the way they go... hahahaha

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a combination of that hole being too close to the edge, the expansion of heat and then sudden cooling down... puts stress on that particular area... any type of plastic that thin will fail in that type of condition... lexan, nylon, plexi, delron, teflon, acrylic or torlon, are the only plastics I know that wouldn’t stress crack in that type of engineered construction under heating/cooling setting... a type of adjustable torque screwdriver on the lowest setting should be used with a type of light viscosity loctite should be used in that construction... the only fix I can see currently is an extended plate that over hangs the parameter of the light a 1/4” or even an 1/8” so it gives the surface area of the counter sink and plate enough pressure to rest on the base of the light without ruining the integrity of the plate itself

Really good point about proximity of screws to edge also about loctite. I was also thinking if the housing had a lip the bolts that hold the lens could also hold the housing but I think the lens is still going to move too much. They will come up with a fix and I am not worried about it as long as the diodes turn on and off and stay cool.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hexy those are likely solutions, but I disagree with your comment about any plastic failing in that use case, there are a solid selection of injection moldable materials that can withstand significant stress.

Anyhow, like you said, there are smart folks at Ecotech and I imagine they can cook through this fast, with or without our advise. :)

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheap fix also would be a small plastic 90* angle strip with the same drilled holes that you could placed on both sides which would be the most concealed that include a longer screw. That would be the cheapest and most cost effective solution for all lights currently out being used till they find a fix for lights that haven’t been sold. Could be shipped in small package and wouldn’t cost much to distribute...

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at upgrading my lighting and was considering Ecotech.....absolutely no way I would ever consider any of their products now. Fix it yourself? I would have told them to pound dirt and send me out new lights....looks Like the list is down to Red Sea and aqua Illumination.....they don’t crack
ive read about this issue on numerous other threads here and elsewhere.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hexy those are likely solutions, but I disagree with your comment about any plastic failing in that use case, there are a solid selection of injection moldable materials that can withstand significant stress.

Anyhow, like you said, there are smart folks at Ecotech and I imagine they can cook through this fast, with or without our advise. :)
Ecotech makes products for a hobby bud... we make steam turbines for Fuji, Toshiba, mitsubishi etc... that exceed speeds of 3500 rpm putting hundreds of lives at risk... not talking ****, but just sayin’ Hahaha... so yes, my thoughts don’t matter, but they are theoretically the cheapest options that I could think of... we make more costly life saving decisions on $1-5 mill product, not ideas for $500-$1k hobby lights... so yes, I guess you are correct... hahahaha... okay, im done ranting...

ross0201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech makes products for a hobby bud... we make steam turbines for Fuji, Toshiba, mitsubishi etc... that exceed speeds of 3500 rpm putting hundreds of lives at risk... not talking ****, but just sayin’ Hahaha... so yes, my thoughts don’t matter, but they are theoretically the cheapest options that I could think of... we make more costly life saving decisions on $1-5 mill product, not ideas for $500-$1k hobby lights... so yes, I guess you are correct... hahahaha... okay, im done ranting...
My turbines go 4000

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the plastic is not the issue I would just make the holes in it larger and use rubber grommets inserted into the holes. that way it can expand and contract without stressing the plastic.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the plastic is not the issue I would just make the holes in it larger and use rubber grommets inserted into the holes. that way it can expand and contract without stressing the plastic.

Very good idea. I think the plastic wouldn't really be an issue at all, as long as it has space to move in both directions freely and quietly. I think regardless it would be wise to move the holes to the meatier side of the housing if possible and trim it down ever so slightly where it meets the lens. Maybe even add a rubber/ silicone gasket between the lens and housing.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of surprised ecotech hasnt responded here yet. I dont agree with them just sending out replacement housings and having people fix them themselves. That would be like a customer coming in to the dealership with a new sierra, saying their radio is broken and us just giving them a radio. Also looks like the bolts are over torqued.

OP
OP
Hypnotize

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of surprised ecotech hasnt responded here yet. I dont agree with them just sending out replacement housings and having people fix them themselves. That would be like a customer coming in to the dealership with a new sierra, saying their radio is broken and us just giving them a radio. Also looks like the bolts are over torqued.
I even found a video from the 23.03 so this has been known to Ecotech for quit some time but didn't matter to openly comment on this issue.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link? Just curious what you are referring to. I thought you were talking about two videos I put on youtube for ETM support but I uploaded on March 4th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.2%
Back