Crashing tank.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the test means chloride

Then the poster should have said that. The claim that there is 19,400 ppm of chlorine in natural seawater is factually incorrect. Chlorine does not exist in significant quantities in seawater except in its negatively charged ion chloride.

Chlorine is a powerful oxidizer and was used to kill enemy combatants in at least one World War. Chloride is an essential electrolyte in our bodies that we may not be able to live without. Speaking about these two as if they are the same makes no sense at all.

This is especially true since we are now discussing the possibility that excess chlorine in the OP's source water may be the cause of the problem. Excess chloride in seawater causes almost no problems. Excess chlorine does. This is why the distinction is important.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excess chloride in seawater causes almost no problems. Excess chlorine does. This is why the distinction is important.

ICP can't tell the difference between the two. It can only show how much of the element Chlorine there is.

@NewbsReef , did you ever check your source water for ammonia to confirm if chloramine is present?

OP
OP
NewbsReef

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat yes i did, I was at the LFS yesterday which is my main water source and i told them my situation and they tested the water in front me and there was no trace of ammonia. I'm wondering if it was a bacterial issue.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back