OP
OP
NewbsReef

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in nutrients, but not high numbers; maybe your numbers are high for your tank. Seeing your WD and then the death, I still think contamination.

Thats what im leaning towards. I wont get the ICP results till middle of next week so maybe ill have some type of answer.

Just tested nutrients. P04 .16 (HANNA) N03 12PPM (NYOS)

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is a bit on the high side but I wouldn't consider that a death sentence, unless you are experiencing alkalinity swings at the same time.
Your Dino fight was pretty recent. What strain did you have and what method did you use to beat them.
I believe it takes much longer, more like six months or so for a dino embattled tank to return to "normal".
Also Ive witnessed ostreopsis cause a specific type of coral browning that almost seems as if the dinos contaminated the host zooxanthelae.
Could your dino's be re-surging?

OP
OP
NewbsReef

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is a bit on the high side but I wouldn't consider that a death sentence, unless you are experiencing alkalinity swings at the same time.
Your Dino fight was pretty recent. What strain did you have and what method did you use to beat them.
I believe it takes much longer, more like six months or so for a dino embattled tank to return to "normal".
Also Ive witnessed ostreopsis cause a specific type of coral browning that almost seems as if the dinos contaminated the host zooxanthelae.
Could your dino's be re-surging?

Ive always struggled with high nutrients. No Alk swing. Stays within 8-8.5 dkh. Im not sure what strain i had, awhile ago nutrients bottomed out, dinos came and i dosed No3 and Po4 to keep nutrients up and added a 25 watt aqua ultraviolet uv and dinos went away after awhile. I dont see dinos re-surging.

On side note my large Acan colony, zoas, medium hammer colony are Showing no ill affect.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always struggled with high nutrients. No Alk swing. Stays within 8-8.5 dkh. Im not sure what strain i had, awhile ago nutrients bottomed out, dinos came and i dosed No3 and Po4 to keep nutrients up and added a 25 watt aqua ultraviolet uv and dinos went away after awhile. I dont see dinos re-surging.

On side note my large Acan colony, zoas, medium hammer colony are Showing no ill affect.

When I saw them I thought a nutrient issue with them going too low might be the problem but then backed off when I saw your parameters. How long ago was this and whens the last time you dosed nopox?

OP
OP
NewbsReef

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw them I thought a nutrient issue with them going too low might be the problem but then backed off when I saw your parameters. How long ago was this and whens the last time you dosed nopox?

This just started sunday morning. Installed a new sump saturday morning. I don't dose nopox I've been dosing 4ml of reef bio fuel every other day.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's only acropora? I do a dip and see what you find.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what im kind of thinking. I live in Jacksonville Fl, and recently they just "sanitized" the water system due to Covid. I get my water from a LFS bit see no ill affect on their tanks. Maybe i was just the unlucky one.
If it is chloramines I would stop all water changes with this water. you can check to see if chloramines are present by checking product water using an ammonia test kit. Use Ozarka distilled water and perform a large water change. Test your tank water with an ammonia test kit

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it really couldn’t be related to high nutrients since that won’t move as fast and your numbers aren’t anything crazy.
I’ll echo what’s the other have said, most likely cause is some sort of contaminant. Do yo have kids? or a significant other that could have sprayed something close to the tank?

Have you thrown in a bunch of activated carbon
And perhaps a polyfilter?

OP
OP
NewbsReef

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is chloramines I would stop all water changes with this water. you can check to see if chloramines are present by checking product water using an ammonia test kit. Use Ozarka distilled water and perform a large water change. Test your tank water with an ammonia test kit

Ive stopped water changes and need to get a ammonia test kit.

Yeah, it really couldn’t be related to high nutrients since that won’t move as fast and your numbers aren’t anything crazy.
I’ll echo what’s the other have said, most likely cause is some sort of contaminant. Do yo have kids? or a significant other that could have sprayed something close to the tank?

Have you thrown in a bunch of activated carbon
And perhaps a polyfilter?

Thats what im thinking. Yes i have kids, Twin 1 year olds. They have no acess to my sump area. The cabient doors has 3 latches that have to be unlocked in order for the door come off. The back of the stand is closed. Kids cant get behind the stand anyways. The wife knows better and shes pretty good about not spraying anything. I used a 1/2 of reef spec carbon after the sump swap just in case. Ive always used reef spec and never had a issue and i always use polyester. Ive been on the same 5lb bag for awhile and never has any negative affect from the frist time using it.

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of the issues. I also quickly lost sps, monte colonies over the course of a tank upgrade. I had many of these colonies for years. Turns out my new barn door hardware was releasing metal shavings in my sump. I used the ATI, ICP kit which tests source water as well. Glad i finally did a test, painfully unforgiving hobby.

OP
OP
NewbsReef

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of the issues. I also quickly lost sps, monte colonies over the course of a tank upgrade. I had many of these colonies for years. Turns out my new barn door hardware was releasing metal shavings in my sump. I used the ATI, ICP kit which tests source water as well. Glad i finally did a test, painfully unforgiving hobby.

It seriously is. I sent out a ICP test and hopefully have the results Monday.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be following to see the results of your ICP test. It will be interesting to see if you have elevated levels of aluminum.

I‘ve also had issues with SPS just from cleaning my sump, I just leave it alone now.

Last edited:

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive stopped water changes and need to get a ammonia test kit.

Thats what im thinking. Yes i have kids, Twin 1 year olds. They have no acess to my sump area. The cabient doors has 3 latches that have to be unlocked in order for the door come off. The back of the stand is closed. Kids cant get behind the stand anyways. The wife knows better and shes pretty good about not spraying anything. I used a 1/2 of reef spec carbon after the sump swap just in case. Ive always used reef spec and never had a issue and i always use polyester. Ive been on the same 5lb bag for awhile and never has any negative affect from the frist time using it.

I would try swapping out the carbon for a fresh batch and see if it can absorb whatever is bothering your tank.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a water change right before or after adding the sump to the tank? If so it could be chloramines which would be like adding corals to a cycling tank. Depending on how long you wait to test ammonia the filter may have processed it by now if your filter can process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours but you would be able to tell by an elevated nitrate level

Last edited:
OP
OP
NewbsReef

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a water change right before or after adding the sump to the tank? If so it could be chloramines which would be like adding corals to a cycling tank. Depending on how long you wait to test ammonia the filter may have processed it by now if your filter can process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours but you would be able to tell by an elevated nitrate level

I did a water change after the sump install. Total of 15 gallons. I usually do a 10 gal water change weekly to keep nutrients in somewhat check. I took a ICP sample and got it sent out. Just waiting for the results. It wiped out all my sps. The few lps i have are fine.

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I would check (and I've learned by experience twice) is your magnets. Make sure there are no scrapers that are rusted out or magnets for pumps or anything else you may have in the tank. That definitely will cause coral losses. Hope you figure things out sooner rather than later!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back