Critique my expected Reefer 350 build equipment list please.

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Happy memorial day! So as the title suggests I'm putting together an equipment list for the reefer 350 I'm ordering at the end of the month. I had a list before, but after listening to advice, I have revised my list and was wondering if it sounds good. I really want to just do it right the first time. So take a look and let me know what you think please.

Here goes

Reefer 350
Kessil ap700
2x kessil arm mounts
Nyos Quantum 120 skimmer
2x Nero 5 power heads
Reef Octo varios-4 return pump
2x Aquamaxx reactors (gfo, carbon)
Uv sterilizer
2x Ehiem Jager 125 heaters
Ehiem auto feeder.

There it is folks. So please any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Peepers

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to use the v3 sump partly as a refugium? If so, a refugium light could be added to the list. Also think about wire control, what will you be using for all the power plugs ? A switch panel is maybe a good idea.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to use the v3 sump partly as a refugium? If so, a refugium light could be added to the list. Also think about wire control, what will you be using for all the power plugs ? A switch panel is maybe a good idea.
I forgot about that. I will probably be getting a kill-a-watt. I had planned on using a small clip on led or cfl for fuge.

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to spend some more on a refugium light, I am really impressed with the Tunze 8831 light. My growth has more than doubled and it is waterproof. Very nice light and not as expensive as Kessil or Prime.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to spend some more on a refugium light, I am really impressed with the Tunze 8831 light. My growth has more than doubled and it is waterproof. Very nice light and not as expensive as Kessil or Prime.
Thank you! I will look into it.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my refugium light with a kessil h380. I went from slow growth cheto to pulling a quart size bag out every week.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might swap out the AP 700 for a pair of Radion XR15 lights, depending on what kind of corals you want to grow. My experiences with Kessil have been... underwhelming. In my tank, the Kessils kept things alive, but I didn't really get good growth until I switched over to Radion. I think a few forum members have been disappointed with the AP700 specifically as well.

If you want to stick with Kessil, I'd suggest swapping to a pair of the new 360X.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might swap out the AP 700 for a pair of Radion XR15 lights, depending on what kind of corals you want to grow. My experiences with Kessil have been... underwhelming. In my tank, the Kessils kept things alive, but I didn't really get good growth until I switched over to Radion. I think a few forum members have been disappointed with the AP700 specifically as well.

If you want to stick with Kessil, I'd suggest swapping to a pair of the new 360X.
Would two radions work for a 47" tank? At the moment I don't plan on going sps for long time, but would like the option. Just have heard kessils look the most beautiful.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would two radions work for a 47" tank? At the moment I don't plan on going sps for long time, but would like the option. Just have heard kessils look the most beautiful.

Should be fine, you might just be a little low on PAR in the outer corners of the tank. They're designed for a 24"x24" space, so two of them should be good over a 47"x20" space. You'll eventually want the diffusers on them.

As for beauty... that's in the eye of the beholder, but I will give Kessil their due and say that their lights do have a very nice shimmer to them. I prefer the look of the Radions, but that's me. If you have a chance (and you might not), see if you can see the two lights in person. Barring that, look through some YouTube videos and see if you can find some comparisons.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely add an ATO and not use the Red Sea stuff, you’ll likely need a separate reservoir as the one that comes with the 350 will need refilling almost daily (depends where you live, seasons etc).

While I like eheim heaters even 125s are pretty bulky for the 350s sump and will require a lot or space. I swapped mine with a finnex titanium. Regardless of the heater, definitely want get a temp controller - inkbird makes cheap and reliable ones.

Not directly tank related but a RODI unit is almost a must.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back