OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a stand nearly finished. Nothing fancy, just a 2x4 stand wrapped with 1/2 mdf on the outside and 1/2" ply on the inside. Think I'm going to run a router around the top edge to give it a more finished look. Other than that a little sanding, caulk/putty, and paint; and I should be ready to go. I should be able to pick up my lowboy frag tank from the LFS this afternoon so I can start working on getting that setup too.

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4966.jpg

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! You my friend are a true reefer! You don’t have room in your house so you built a shack to scratch your itch for a tank.

Following along

And the kicker is it's all with wife approval! LOL

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the 50g lowboy came in but it was shattered on one end. Looks like a forklift may have hit the box. LFS is ordering a replacement but I may have to wait a couple weeks to get it. In the meantime I’ve got my RODI mounted and ready to go.

D0B5F2D4-CCD2-490E-B223-0C594DC76FD9.jpeg

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is coming along. I got a nice even coat of primer on it last night. I'll sand it with some 220 and put another coat of primer on it tonight. Haven't fully decided on what color to use for the finish coat, but will either be a bright white or an antique white (the color of my current 40B stand below). Love my sump, but man that thing is huge 36x16x16. I got it used for 80 bucks so I can't complain, but it were 30" I'd be able able to fit an ATO container under the stand too. As of now I only have about 4" on both sides of the sump.

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_0875.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool build thread! I love reading through builds and getting to fast forward through the waiting :p

Can't wait to see this come together!
Thanks, I'm hoping I can move forward on some tank builds sooner rather than later.

If you can build that shack , tank and other misc must be a piece of cake for you- great work!!

LOL, Thanks! We'll see how my plumbing job goes. Never plumbed a sump, much less multiple tanks into a single sump!
;Wideyed

Unbelievable transition. Well done man. Here for the ride!

Glad to have you!

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low boy came in... shattered again. Completely busted this time. Actually looked like a tank that was previously returned because of damage. The bottom of the box had already been opened and the tank was set in upside down... LFS is doing everything to make it right and the tank should be here next Wed. He's going to see if he can get the supplier to discount the tank because of all the delay and hassle, so that's a plus... but since I've already paid for the tank it just means I'll get store credit.

While I was cleaning the tank I noticed a small scratch... I filled the tank to see if it would disappear as they often do, but unfortunately it didn't. The scratch is completely invisible sitting in front of it, but as soon as I stand I see it. Granted the tank is empty and there's nothing drawing my eye away from the scratch, but as of right now it's kinda driving me nuts.

Due to space constraints and not wanting to be overly crowded I had basically decided I would only setup 1 one of the 75s and the lowboy (real life compared to scale drawings doesn't always translate very well) . I was considering selling the new 75, but now I may keep it. The only issue with that is I'll need to buy an overflow and drill the sucker. Not afraid to drill it, but a decent overflow is going to run me nearly 200 bucks... sigh.

Here's where I plan to stare at my tank and sip on cold adult beverages. Ignore the mess of wires I need some extension cords/power strips.

img_5012-jpg.10735

A preview of the view while sitting.

img_5009-jpg.10736

A pic of that glorious scratch!!! Honestly it's not that bad, I just have a touch of OCD when it comes to the viewing panel

img_5010-jpg.10737

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back