OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set these up on the lights over the frag tank last night. They are cheap, work as timers on each outlet, and with Alexa.

I've got them setup as a group so I can say: Alexa, turn on frag tank and all the lights come on. Or I can say "Alexa turn on frag tank T5's" and the T5's come on. I can say "Alexa, turn on the frag tank blues" and the blue led channel comes on. I can say "Alexa, turn on the frag tank whites" and the white, red and green led channel comes on. I can say "Alexa, turn off the frag tank" and all lights go out.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Googl...qid=1547153402&sr=8-14&keywords=gosund+outlet

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's ALWAYS a way to add complication. ;)

I'm trying to fully automate my water changes. I want to dump a bucket of salt into a hopper and walk away. Run a timer to make the whole thing sing and dance on a schedule or a push button for whenever the mood strikes to perform any unscheduled water changes.

This is basically what I have on my system. I have an auto water change system that changes 3 gallons per day. It draws from a 100 gallon plastic tank, I just keep an eye on the level of the 100 gallon tank and when it gets down to 40 - 50 gallons I refill it. This way I only mix a full 50 gallon bag at a time, never have to measure. I also have a 100 gallon RODI tank right next to it plumbed together. So making water is simple as flipping a switch for new water, turning on the mixing pump, and dumping in a bag of salt.
I also have Apex running my water changes, so if I want to change more for some reason I just turn it on in my phone and let it run.
This is the single best thing I have ever added to my system!:cool:

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm currently in a holding pattern waiting on a new overflow to come in. It should be in today and I can drill the new 75g. Once that's done I can start working on the plumbing... that's going to be fun as I've never plumbed a sump, much less 2 tanks to one sump LOL.

I'm trying to see what I can do to setup an easy water change system. My current idea is to drill another "return line" hole in the lowboy. From that bulkhead I can run a separate drain with an inline shut off valve directly into my sewer drain. I'd have to go through the wall (or floor) then under the building to tie in. If I can use a pvc 90 or even some locline to set the depth of a known volume I can simply mix up that amount of saltwater, shut off the return pump, open the drain, close the drain, and pump in the new saltwater... There's probably a much better way to do this, but that's what I have in my head at the moment. If anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears!

Seems like it would be simpler to just "T" the return to a sewer drain, that way you would get the benefit of the drainback from both tanks, plus what's in the sump as far as water change volume goes. Unless I misunderstood something about your plan.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it would be simpler to just "T" the return to a sewer drain, that way you would get the benefit of the drainback from both tanks, plus what's in the sump as far as water change volume goes. Unless I misunderstood something about your plan.

Hmmm,never really thought of using the return pump to push water out. The sump is 36x16x16 (40 gallon max capacity), so I'm guessing total water volume sitting in the sump with the return shut off would be somewhere between 25 and 30 gallons. I can always determine that exact amount after it's in place by pumping it into a brute can. Then I can mark the can and know exactly how much to mix every time.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would make for an easy way to clean up the sump. Shut off the tank returns, stir up the sump chambers, and pump it out. Just need to make sure and have a way to shut off the flow to the tanks.

BTW, I also have a low boy plumbed to my main display. I love it!

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is awesome! I am following along, I love my low boy frag tank!
Thanks! I'm stoked to get this system up and running! It's awesome being able to get away from it all without really having to leave the house. The wife likes it for a couple reasons. It gets all my "fish stuff" out of the house and lets me get out of the house, but at the same time I'm still within earshot for those random honey do lists.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would make for an easy way to clean up the sump. Shut off the tank returns, stir up the sump chambers, and pump it out. Just need to make sure and have a way to shut off the flow to the tanks.

BTW, I also have a low boy plumbed to my main display. I love it!

Took a closer look at my sump setup last night, and the issue with using the return pump for water changes is that it only pulls water from the return section. If I divert water to a drain instead of to the tank it will only take the water in the return section of the sump which is maybe 5 gallons tops....

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you'll get more than that from diverting the drain either. You'll be limited by the amount that will "drain back" when the pump is off. Unless you add a drain somewhere on the tank that will actually allow you to drain it.

My thought was that when you turn off the return pump the sump will fill from drainback - and you could pump that out for the WC.
You're right though, without a way to lower the level of the tanks, the amount you can change is limited. This is another good selling point for AWC.
If you're interested in that let me know - I'll show you how I did it.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply no words... absolutely sick to my stomach

48434E87-8D50-4F12-A85F-790FCD1CAE58.jpeg

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!:eek: Shoot, that sucks.
I’m guessing that at this point you’ve had tome to have a drink and cool down?:)

Sorry this happened, but don’t let it slow you down. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks. Sadly no beer in the house and the little one is sleeping so I can’t make a beer run. I did have a pull off some ole rot gut rum I picked up in the Caribbean about a decade ago, LOL. I still have the old reef ready 75 that has a couple small scratches on the front panel, just going to have to learn to live with it for now. Could be worse... I could have sold that tank already, but “luckily” the buyer backed out.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a build. Following along.

That shattered tank, that’s the new 75? I see the petco sticker on the side there, assuming it’s from there? That’s good to find out, I was considering getting a 75 from there and drilling it, but now not so much... thanks? And sorry that happened.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m needing a little input. The old reef ready 75 is setup for a durso system, single 1” drain and single 3/4 return. I’m not even going to think about drilling this tank, so what would you do? Run the durso or convert it to a Herbie and run the return over the top rim?

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a build. Following along.

That shattered tank, that’s the new 75? I see the petco sticker on the side there, assuming it’s from there? That’s good to find out, I was considering getting a 75 from there and drilling it, but now not so much... thanks? And sorry that happened.
I’ve bought tons of 40B’s and even a 20 long from them and drilled them easy peasy... I’ve done a little reading though and it seems because they run so many $1/gallon sales now the tanks are never guaranteed to not be tempered. Apparently they use whatever glass panels they have readily available. Typically only the bottom is tempered, but that’s not always the case these days. My tank is shattered proof...

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m needing a little input. The old reef ready 75 is setup for a durso system, single 1” drain and single 3/4 return. I’m not even going to think about drilling this tank, so what would you do? Run the durso or convert it to a Herbie and run the return over the top rim?

Personally I would run the return over the top rim. For a couple reasons.
One, I’ve never been able to actually get a durso to be silent. With your build though, not sure how much you care about that since everything is going to be in that one small space. Either way though, herbie gets you a very real peace of mind though. Having a backup overflow is rather nice. No worries about a rogue snail causing major problems and all that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back