OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you get, plumb the drain of the dehumidifier. Makes life soooo much easier when it just runs when it wants instead of having to go and dump it out all the time
Im in the same situation with my setup... the humidity in the room that I have setup is insane... Im looking to get a 70 pint dehumidifier as well and hopefully hooking it up to the drain on the wash basin I installed... Otherwise I think I would probably have to empty that thing twice a day manually with how humid it is... like to know how that model works out for you
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU7GYXA/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_T7rqCbF2Y8QGW

I'd recommend that one. More than enough to keep that room decent, can plumb the drain out and has a desired humidity setting. And it gets shipped to your door for free (if you've prime of course). I looked at Lowe's, that's where I bought mine back in the day, but everything seems more expensive on their site.

I’m going to use the stand my 40b is on as a workstation right next to my utility sink and it’s 6” taller than the sink so I plan on just running the drain line directly to the sink. I’m currently looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073VBWKJZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=AGX8R2KCBUNIK&psc=1

Has really good reviews on Amazon and I even found a nice and in-depth site that tested and reviewed dehumidifiers and this one came in second for overall best pick. The #1 was only slightly better and $60 more expensive.

I may look at Lowe’s and see what they have available and compare models as I get a 10% veteran discount there.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great. Better than the one I linked lol.

They might have something in store that’s decently priced. But everything on the site is pricey, even with the 10%

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gettin salty up in here...

C3D696B1-DF70-4371-B770-CE490B498AD0.jpeg

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup you got going there bud... I just put corals in my growout system a few days ago... Just went through your whole thread... enjoyed reading the ups and downs...

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup you got going there bud... I just put corals in my growout system a few days ago... Just went through your whole thread... enjoyed reading the ups and downs...
Thanks. I need to get caught up on yours. I’m sure there’s plenty more ups and downs to come lol. Just have to keep pushing through! It’ll all be worth it in the long run. I’m dreading moving tanks though.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got water....
Some. Still working on filling the sump and making enough to fill the 75 after the 40B is moved over. My little RODI unit has been putting in work the past few evenings. I really need to invest in a rodi float shutoff valve!

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about mounting it on the very bottom of that side and flipping it so it sends the flow across the bottom. Might have to turn it up to get the proper flow across the top once it bounces off but that should make the waves smaller... maybe.
So apparently I forgot to respond to this one... the cages on the gyre are adjustable. They can be rotated to help guide the flow. Helped tremendously, but still going to use a little enkamat to muffle it more.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cranked the dehumidifier up before bed to see what it would do overnight. Checked the shack this morning and the AC had kicked on (thermostat is set to 76 degrees), but the RH was 40% . My hygrometer gives me high and low for a 24 hr period and the RH had gotten down to 37% at some point in the night. I'm going to do some more testing to see what I can do to maintain roughly 50-60% RH but not raise my temp too high. On a positive note, I guess as long as I'm running a dehumidifier in colder weather I won't be using my heater.

I would be awesome if there was a way to vent the heated air to the outside...

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased that homelabs dehumidifier you linked... Read a bunch about it as well... hopefully it works as well as all the reviews said... Its miserable in my room... hope its not overkill, says its rated for a 4000 sqft. room

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased that homelabs dehumidifier you linked... Read a bunch about it as well... hopefully it works as well as all the reviews said... Its miserable in my room... hope its not overkill, says its rated for a 4000 sqft. room

It’ll be just fine. When they say 4k, they really mean 4k without a giant pool of water in the middle of it that you keep heated and agitate the water a lot so it evaporates like crazy.

With one of those, that ones great :)

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man I hope it works too. I think I’m gonna be ordering one this week. I honestly think a hygrometer is one piece of equipment I regret buying. Sometimes it doesn’t even feel bad in the shack, but I’ll see a RH above 70% and I freak out. Brings a whole new aspect to “chasing numbers”. I tend to get fixated on things like that and it runs me ragged worrying about! I’m hoping that it’s only like this during our winter months. We have humid summers here in the south... but it’s hot so we run AC a lot and that should naturally help with the humidity. Winter temps are all over the place but never really high enough to run AC and it rains all the time, it’s our wettest time of year for sure.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF7B9ADB-218D-43B3-8F8C-B60D90C61319.jpeg
Humidity update: set the dehumidifier to continuous mode and put it on a timer. Half hour on, full hour off, half hour on, full hour off, etc.

This seems to have maintained my levels very well. 24 hour high of 56% and low of 37%.

Probably not the most efficient way to dehumidify but setting the dehumidifier to a particular RH% was making it run way more than I liked and produced a good bit of excess heat...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back