CR's Frag Shack

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought tons of 40B’s and even a 20 long from them and drilled them easy peasy... I’ve done a little reading through and because they run so many $1/gallon sales now the tanks are never guaranteed to not be tempered. Apparently they use whatever glass panels they have readily available. Typically only the bottom is tempered, but that’s not always the case these days. My tank is shattered proof...

That’s good to know.. and really annoying. Drilling a 75 is a wonderfully cheap alternative to buying a reef ready one. Plus, reef ready almost always means getting that durso problem.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since it's reef ready, i'm 99.99% sure there is no tempered glass on it. the most common place for it is on the bottom anyway. I would seal those holes, and drill new ones for the overflow you were going to use.

if you don't want to go that route, yes run the return over the back

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was a whirlwind of plumbing. It looks like a tornado hit but the tanks are plumbed. Only one issue/leak to contend with. Pro tip: make sure you double check all your bulkheads have a gasket in place ;Facepalm. Fixed the issue and it ran overnight without any leaks. Flow has been tuned and it’s pretty quiet, only hear a little trickle from the eshopps overflow on the lowboy. Considering this is my first go at plumbing I’m pretty happy with the results. I definitely learned a lot in the process. The one thing I don’t like is the waterline in the frag tank. The eshopps is literally as high as it can go but the water still sits 1-1.25” below the trim... even with the return pump on full blast. At this point I think I’m going to wrap some black duct tape around the outside of the tank to hide the water.

Now to make a ton of rodi...

F5389903-77E0-453A-B5CF-FE16B476CCB7.jpeg

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yungreefer is onto something here. The RR 75 is already drilled, so the bottom of the tank isn’t tempered. I would still not drill the sides of it just in case but you could drill a hole in the bottom somewhere for the return (just run a black pvc pipe up from the bulkhead and then add an elbow with whatever return fitting on top). That way you get a return flow wherever you want in the tank and also get a herbie overflow.

Can you tune down the drain on the frag tank? This has issues of course but.. I don’t really see another way you’re going to get the water level up higher. Other than WAY over sizing the return pump and overwhelming the overflow, but that has issues too.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7D06A0D9-5408-4174-87BE-E4A78E1F122D.jpeg
Yungreefer is onto something here. The RR 75 is already drilled, so the bottom of the tank isn’t tempered. I would still not drill the sides of it just in case but you could drill a hole in the bottom somewhere for the return (just run a black pvc pipe up from the bulkhead and then add an elbow with whatever return fitting on top). That way you get a return flow wherever you want in the tank and also get a herbie overflow.

Can you tune down the drain on the frag tank? This has issues of course but.. I don’t really see another way you’re going to get the water level up higher. Other than WAY over sizing the return pump and overwhelming the overflow, but that has issues too.

I’ve already plumbed the return over the top and I actually like the way it turned out so no drilling.

The issue with the eshopps overflow it the size of the teeth. They’re nearly 2 inches tall so the even when the box is mounted as high as it can be the water sits low in the tank. In reality I could glue some acrylic over part of the wier to raise the water level inside the tank but when I tested that it made the water falling into the overflow louder than I like... so black tape is the easier/quieter fix.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that’s not bad at all. I’m sure it’s probably restricting the flow a little, having it go through two extra 90’s but honestly that shouldn’t matter.

Gotcha. I’ve never used one of their overflows, makes sense now that I think about it. No real way to fix the water falling noise either, now that I’ve looked it up and see how it works. I’m with ya on the water line being annoying.. I’m building up a nuvo fusion 20 right now and I can’t stand seeing the water line... not much to do about it on a rimless tank though, I suppose I’ll just learn to live with it. You could probably paint the top inch of the tank instead of using ducktape... would probably be a cleaner look, but getting it exactly right might be real tricky.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeellllllll... another leak. Sigh.

Eshopps overflow again. This time the other bulkhead, but hey at least I remembered the gasket on this one. I was able to squeeze my shoulder behind the tank and used a pair of vise grips to tighten the nut another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. So far no drips, but I have a bucket under the area and will keep an eye on it for a couple hours. I’m hoping and praying that took care of it.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed a Maxspect Gyre 250 in the frag tank. I currently have it running in constant mode at 30%. Really liking the water movement, but it's causing issues with the overflow. Water seems to be flowing across the tank, bouncing off the opposite wall, and pushing random waves of water into my overflow weir making a horrible waterfall sound. I know there are others that have fought with this same thing... anyone have suggestions?

IMG_5331.jpg
IMG_5332.jpg

Last edited:

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does positioning it lower in the tank have any effect? Also, is there enough room to mount it vertically? If you could put it vertically on the back, it should still provide more than enough flow but get rid of the waves

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does positioning it lower in the tank have any effect? Also, is there enough room to mount it vertically? If you could put it vertically on the back, it should still provide more than enough flow but get rid of the waves

Can't mount it vertically as the tank is only 10" tall, with roughly 8.5 inches of water in it (thanks to the eshopps overflow). I could lower it, and it's possible that would help a little. The only issue I see is that would be the flow directly inline with where the frags will be. I could also dial it down to 20% and see what happens, but that would reduce my flow by about 500 gph (1,590 ish to 1,060 ish)

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't mount it vertically as the tank is only 10" tall, with roughly 8.5 inches of water in it (thanks to the eshopps overflow). I could lower it, and it's possible that would help a little. The only issue I see is that would be the flow directly inline with where the frags will be. I could also dial it down to 20% and see what happens, but that would reduce my flow by about 500 gph (1,590 ish to 1,060 ish)
What about mounting it on the very bottom of that side and flipping it so it sends the flow across the bottom. Might have to turn it up to get the proper flow across the top once it bounces off but that should make the waves smaller... maybe.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
650967E0-0817-4EA9-A58C-4C63DA68D809.jpeg
779344C4-07B5-458C-B802-220632FD7BEE.jpeg
Well the shack is running about 80% humidity right now so I have to do something. Louisiana winters are a wet mess and the rain and tanks are giving me fits. It’s too cold to run ac and opening the window doesn’t do much when it’s misting or raining a few days a weeks.

That said I’m borrowing a 70 pint dehumidifier to see how it works. So far it’s working like a champ. In exactly 20 minutes it dropped the RH from 80% to 52% (per hygrometer) and only raised the temperature by 2 degrees... there’s a different % of RH on the dehumidifier vs the hygrometer at the 20 minuete endpoint but this was only round one of testing. As long as it’s truly under 60% I’ll be happy.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks exactly like the dehumidifier that was pulling all the moisture out of my fish room. That thing was a champ, no reason to doubt it will work there.
Well this one is only on loan,but man it’s already so much more comfortable out here. I’m definitely going to be looking for one to call my own soon.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this one is only on loan,but man it’s already so much more comfortable out here. I’m definitely going to be looking for one to call my own soon.
Whatever you get, plumb the drain of the dehumidifier. Makes life soooo much easier when it just runs when it wants instead of having to go and dump it out all the time

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
650967E0-0817-4EA9-A58C-4C63DA68D809.jpeg
779344C4-07B5-458C-B802-220632FD7BEE.jpeg
Well the shack is running about 80% humidity right now so I have to do something. Louisiana winters are a wet mess and the rain and tanks are giving me fits. It’s too cold to run ac and opening the window doesn’t do much when it’s misting or raining a few days a weeks.

That said I’m borrowing a 70 pint dehumidifier to see how it works. So far it’s working like a champ. In exactly 20 minutes it dropped the RH from 80% to 52% (per hygrometer) and only raised the temperature by 2 degrees... there’s a different % of RH on the dehumidifier vs the hygrometer at the 20 minuete endpoint but this was only round one of testing. As long as it’s truly under 60% I’ll be happy.

Im in the same situation with my setup... the humidity in the room that I have setup is insane... Im looking to get a 70 pint dehumidifier as well and hopefully hooking it up to the drain on the wash basin I installed... Otherwise I think I would probably have to empty that thing twice a day manually with how humid it is... like to know how that model works out for you

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU7GYXA/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_T7rqCbF2Y8QGW

I'd recommend that one. More than enough to keep that room decent, can plumb the drain out and has a desired humidity setting. And it gets shipped to your door for free (if you've prime of course). I looked at Lowe's, that's where I bought mine back in the day, but everything seems more expensive on their site.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back