OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered just adding a vent to help supplement the dehumidifier? You may have a good reason not to, just wondering.

I've considered it, but it I've also been told that it may create a negative pressure in the building and draw in air from the outside. I'm not sure if that would be defeating the purpose or not...

Honestly intake of fresh outside air, regardless of the humidity level, might be beneficial though. It would eliminate recirculating the same old air over and over.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered it, but it I've also been told that it may create a negative pressure in the building and draw in air from the outside. I'm not sure if that would be defeating the purpose or not...

Honestly intake of fresh outside air, regardless of the humidity level, might be beneficial though. It would eliminate recirculating the same old air over and over.
I haven't heard that before, interesting. My plan for the future garage take over was a mini split ac and two vents. I hadn't decided if I was going to go with vents that turned on with humidity or if just 24/7 vents. I'll have to do some more research now.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard that before, interesting. My plan for the future garage take over was a mini split ac and two vents. I hadn't decided if I was going to go with vents that turned on with humidity or if just 24/7 vents. I'll have to do some more research now.

Humidity mitigation is by far my biggest problem, but I'm dealing with roughly 150 gallons of water in a space that might be 120 sq ft... Also my situation is a little bit unique in the fact that it's a completely separate building all to itself.

I'm currently experimenting with leaving the window slightly cracked at all times, less than an inch or so. The past couple mornings there's been minimal condensation on the window, just a few drops on bottom metal piece of the window pane. Even when running the dehumidifier I always had a good bit of moisture/condensation on the entire window in the mornings. So much so that I'd dry the window with a dish towel and then have to hang it to dry. Now that I'm keeping the window open slightly I've reduced that problem by like 95%.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it keeps getting better, I was already planning on following but for sure now to see how this part goes.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build so far!

I know when people have been annoyed with the water line in the innovative marine tanks, and wanted it raise an inch or so they Just blocked/taped/glued a piece of acrylic over the bottom 1/2 to 1 inch of the overflows to raise the waterlevel that way.

I dont know how large the Eshopps teeth are but maybe you could block off the bottom inch or so to raise the waterline that way?

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build so far!

I know when people have been annoyed with the water line in the innovative marine tanks, and wanted it raise an inch or so they Just blocked/taped/glued a piece of acrylic over the bottom 1/2 to 1 inch of the overflows to raise the waterlevel that way.

I dont know how large the Eshopps teeth are but maybe you could block off the bottom inch or so to raise the waterline that way?

Thanks. I don't have a pic of it on the thread, but I did glue a piece of acrylic to the front of the overflow. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but works. Brought the waterline right up to the bottom of the trim. Wouldn't see the waterline if it weren't for the wave motion caused by the gyre.

Now if fixing humidity issues were as easy as fixing the overflow... that would be amazing. Humidity is under control with a dehumidifier, but I've yet to get an electric bill to know how much it's costing me.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6E0ED54F-E1E0-42E0-96F1-C72C78CFFD87.jpeg
Well... saw a few drops under the frag tank. One of the eshopps bulkheads was leaking slightly. Thought to myself I’ll just fix it with a little silicone... nope. Managed to get it fixed but I might have to work on some plumbing tomorrow. Biggest issue is my 1” bulkheads don’t fit. The flange is slightly to big to seat in the bottom of the exterior overflow box. Guess the don’t use standard size bulkheads in the overflow. So frustrating!!!

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6E0ED54F-E1E0-42E0-96F1-C72C78CFFD87.jpeg
Well... saw a few drops under the frag tank. One of the eshopps bulkheads was leaking slightly. Thought to myself I’ll just fix it with a little silicone... nope. Managed to get it fixed but I might have to work on some plumbing tomorrow. Biggest issue is my 1” bulkheads don’t fit. The flange is slightly to big to seat in the bottom of the exterior overflow box. Guess the don’t use standard size bulkheads in the overflow. So frustrating!!!

Love me some bulkhead issues... NIGHTMARE!!! Atleast you caught it...

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier is working good... I have it running all day currently because its raining overhere... running it @ 40 and it keeps the RH around 47-49... Im manually dunping it teice a day though... I cannot believe howmuch water that thing is pulling in a 24 hr period... kinda scary actually!!! Its also keeping the room around 75 degrees, so heater isnt kicking on as much... Overall, I like it... Thanks for suggesting it man...

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier is working good... I have it running all day currently because its raining overhere... running it @ 40 and it keeps the RH around 47-49... Im manually dunping it teice a day though... I cannot believe howmuch water that thing is pulling in a 24 hr period... kinda scary actually!!! Its also keeping the room around 75 degrees, so heater isnt kicking on as much... Overall, I like it... Thanks for suggesting it man...
Mine works like a champ. But it does make it warm in here. I’m only having to dump it once a day so far but southern summer will put it to the test I’m sure.

As far as an eshopps overflow... NEVER again. That thing has been a pain. You’re right though at least I caught it and I think I managed to fix it. I’ll just have to keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh. I’m learning all sorts of things from this thread. Had no idea they used proprietary bulkheads. That’s.. <expletive removed>..
Yeah. I hate that overflow more and more each day!

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D0E87DFF-F64D-4A4D-BFE8-E10DD3FB251F.jpeg
57F6424E-EFCB-465E-BE87-37E0CE70AE6A.jpeg
8B1CC409-FACE-4D39-8F8A-DA19A307A5C0.jpeg
B1A7FCAF-25F9-46C8-AD7B-DCFDBD6FBF16.jpeg
Well I got seriously tired of fighting the eshopps overflow. I tore the entire frag tank apart. Took a couple slip/thread bulkheads I had and gave them a haircut, just a little off the top. Used male adapters and Teflon paste to run 1” pvc and added the unions that I should have put in the first go round. I’m much more pleased with the whole thing now and so far no leaks.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back