CUC for glass

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone aware of a CUC that prefers glass over sand and rock? I know each critter has its own preference persay but my turbos, shrimps and crabs (of course), among others, prefer to stay on the rock for cleaning. It’s hard to scrub certain parts of the glass and they all seem to ignore it.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone aware of a CUC that prefers glass over sand and rock? I know each critter has its own preference persay but my turbos, shrimps and crabs (of course), among others, prefer to stay on the rock for cleaning. It’s hard to scrub certain parts of the glass and they all seem to ignore it.
How about an urchin? The ones I’ve had in the past cruised all over the place. I would think that as long as there is plenty to eat on the rocks the snails have no reason to explore elsewhere. Instead of an urchin you could try adding a few more snails so that they need to explore further to fill up.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more snails...or move one to a nice tasty patch on the glass. I have nerites, astreae, cerith, and trochus.... they all alternate between time on the glass and rocks, so i don't think one type in particular will favor the glass.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an urchin? The ones I’ve had in the past cruised all over the place. I would think that as long as there is plenty to eat on the rocks the snails have no reason to explore elsewhere. Instead of an urchin you could try adding a few more snails so that they need to explore further to fill up.
Great idea! I never thought of that. Usually urchins hang out on the glass. My tank has plenty to eat and the snails are always busy. I hate the thought of loading my tank with snails because further down the road, I’ll have a snail dominated tank.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! I never thought of that. Usually urchins hang out on the glass. My tank has plenty to eat and the snails are always busy. I hate the thought of loading my tank with snails because further down the road, I’ll have a snail dominated tank.
With an urchin just make sure your rockwork is secure. They will wedge into crevices in the rock and cause rocks to topple.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good article you might enjoy..

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/

I've never been a fan of Turbo Snails. I have Banded Trochus snails and Astrea Snails in my tank. Astreas are sometimes called Turbo Snails as well, so look at the shell shapes in the article..

Both species are all over the glass, the substrate and the rocks in my tank. I barely touch my glass scraper. These two species also seem to have better survival rates, for me anyway. I introduced 6 Astrea and 3 Banded Trochus into my take a couple of months ago, and all 9 are still alive and active...

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good article you might enjoy..

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/

I've never been a fan of Turbo Snails. I have Banded Trochus snails and Astrea Snails in my tank. Astreas are sometimes called Turbo Snails as well, so look at the shell shapes in the article..

Both species are all over the glass, the substrate and the rocks in my tank. I barely touch my glass scraper. These two species also seem to have better survival rates, for me anyway. I introduced 6 Astrea and 3 Banded Trochus into my take a couple of months ago, and all 9 are still alive and active...
Thanks. Useful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back