Cupramine got into display tank! Help!

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work. My wife called and said that the sump water level has gotten too low, so she put water into the sump to raise the level. The only one of my buckets that had water in it was the one that I've been using for the cupramine treatment for my quarantine tank. It had approx 2 gallons of pre treated water in it with copper levels at .5. She used that water in the sump. What can I do to remove the copper? Is there going to be anyway to save my inverts or did she just kill everything in my tank? All that's in there now is a few anemones, crabs, and some snails. It's a 55 gallon tank. Is there any hope?

Thanks

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Act as fast as possible, big water change, a lot of carbon, amd most likely your inverts are doomed for sure. So watch for an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sand and live rock in my tank. Won't the live rock and sand absorb some of the copper, thus keeping in the tank forever? So I'd be looking at a complete tank tear down?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a big bag of cuprisorb in your DT. It's designed to take out copper.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you were super not harsh right

She didn't know. I've been super sick, hence why the sump was allowed to get low in the first place. She was just trying to help. Thought she was doing me a favor, but instead may have completely killed my tank. I can't really get mad at her, but if it does kill everything in my tank, I'll probably be giving up for awhile. I've lost a lot of fish lately so my spirits are pretty low following this.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consider setting up a pico reef with us if you break for a while the stress is totally understandable

We have people with sps and Lps hq frag gardens in jars that are four years old + in pico threads it's quite the tiny trend. We get to keep pretty much the same corals as large tankers just no good fish

Glad you held perspective I envisioned how that realization went down

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So did a large water change. Just tested copper with the seachem test kit. Almost undetectable. I would say at most copper levels are at a .05. That's a hard maybe. Would that be too toxic for our inverts?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back