Cupramine

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
i have a 116l QT and right now just added 1 blue throat trigger, a small blue tang, 2 nemos, 5 small chromis.
The sponge filters have been moved from the main tank and running for a month already. My goal is to treat them of desease before adding to main tank. Now my question is:

- i have cupramine how much should i be dosing to get to .4mg/l?

- i also have prazipro when should i start?

c9a65bc519a9fbcebd09c4d5a6ea6938.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! You may want to add a few hiding places with pvc to cut down on agression in the QT. Just follow the directions on the cuppramine for dosing. It should be 20 drops per 5 gallons to get you to .5ppm which is where you'll want it. You dont want to bring the copper level up right away. Take a couple days to do it. I believe the directions state 10 drops per 5 gallons and then a couple days later doing the same which would get you to the full therapeutic dose. Prazi can be done with the copper. Make sure to follow the directions on the bottle there as well. Do one dose, then 5 days later do another. You may want to do a third because copper will make the prazi a little less effective.

**be sure to NEVER use an ammonia detoxifier (amquel, stress coat ect) in your QT because it will turn the copper toxic and kill the fish**

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Good advice above. Your 116L QT equates to roughly 30 US gallons. So, for Prazipro dose 1.5 teaspoons (or roughly 7 mL), wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% WC and then dose again.

Unless you are in a big rush to QT, I would advise not mixing Prazi & Cupramine (although like Meredith said, technically it can be done.) Buy a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit to measure Cupramine, as the directions on the label are not always accurate.

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a video on using the seachem test kit. I think I'm doing it right but I'm a little concerned about the amount of powder I should be using on the stir rod

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a video on using the seachem test kit. I think I'm doing it right but I'm a little concerned about the amount of powder I should be using on the stir rod

Not that I'm aware of, but what I do is simply stick the rod into the powder, tap lightly on the edge, then stir. It's always worked well for me that way. Maybe I'll make a video when my next batch of fish go into the QT.

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder I believe acts as a catalyst for the reaction. It takes almost nothing to get the reaction going. What I look for is after I stir it I look at the surface of the sample at shallow angle so you see light reflecting off. If you see what look like dust on the surface the reaction will proceed. More makes it happen faster, but also wastes some of the powder.

I put the stick in spin it around in the powder, then tap it back and forth on the sides of the tube to knock most of it off. You literally just want what ever dust sticks to the stir rod.

I really wish Hanna would make a marine copper test kit as the ones that are available have a lot to be desired. I don't know about the rest of you but I always have a tough time reading what shade of blue I have, and they don't include enough of the reference solution.

I have found that the 1 drop per liter of water does seem to be on the mark the majority of time to give 0.5 mg/L. I'm a bit strange in that I use liters whenever I can, well because it's a logical system of measure [emoji57]

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back