Custom tanks

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm looking at possibly getting a new big rr tank. Not looking for sump or other things yup come with it. I like the red sea xxl750 but just want the tank. What do you guys recommend for purchasing just the tank that reliable and that won't cost a house?

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For just a tank, I have always used Marineland with no issue for just a base stock tank. Current tank is a 110 gallon and it is a quality build. I think I spent $400, maybe more or less. It's been about 2 years or more now.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a cube 93 gallon aquarium I would stay as far as you can away from Marineland. I have 2 warranty issues with them now. I am looking at glass cages for my new tank after I get my refunds from Marineland.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a cube 93 gallon aquarium I would stay as far as you can away from Marineland. I have 2 warranty issues with them now. I am looking at glass cages for my new tank after I get my refunds from Marineland.

If you research the online forums, you will find many more issues with Glass Cages than you will with Marineland. My recommendations for large cubes or anything that is not a traditional stock rectangular aquarium would be Planet Aquarium.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read anything about them being negative. I had a very long conversation with them this morning about the marinland issues and how they build their tanks and was pretty pleased with their methods. Of course that doesn't indicate their practices. Glasscages wanted 800 bucks for a 93 gallon cube and Customer aquarium wanted over 1000 plus shipping. This is crazy kinds of money.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read anything about them being negative. I had a very long conversation with them this morning about the marinland issues and how they build their tanks and was pretty pleased with their methods. Of course that doesn't indicate their practices. Glasscages wanted 800 bucks for a 93 gallon cube and Customer aquarium wanted over 1000 plus shipping. This is crazy kinds of money.

Not as long as they find someone to pay it :rolleyes:. I recall looking at glass cages several years ago, like 10 or so. My biggest issue at the time was the delivery. You have to pick up from a delivery center and the cluster one to I think was Atlanta, otherwise shipping direct to the house was going to be a fortune. Then I recalled there being a string of tank blowouts on reef central so I moved on. This was several years ago.

On the Marineland, I recall there were issues in the past with the DD tanks. The warranty issues were further limited to DIY stands...as I recall.

Search a large enough board and with a long enough back history, every brand will have there issues. If money were no object, I'd go Planet Aquarium full custom.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as long as they find someone to pay it :rolleyes:. I recall looking at glass cages several years ago, like 10 or so. My biggest issue at the time was the delivery. You have to pick up from a delivery center and the cluster one to I think was Atlanta, otherwise shipping direct to the house was going to be a fortune. Then I recalled there being a string of tank blowouts on reef central so I moved on. This was several years ago.

On the Marineland, I recall there were issues in the past with the DD tanks. The warranty issues were further limited to DIY stands...as I recall.

Search a large enough board and with a long enough back history, every brand will have there issues. If money were no object, I'd go Planet Aquarium full custom.

I called reef savvy in florida and they have a 6 month wait right now. Glass Cages has a 3 week lead time. I have since done more searches and found a lot of the bad reviews. As for Marineland go look at my new thread I started and see the nightmare I'm in. Wife is so mad right now she can't see straight.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marineland-93-gallon-cube-warranty.318280/

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I saved you ;) I'll take a look at your thread. It sucks but its good to keep all these notes in our head. You never know in this hobby when you will need your next tank. Both your wife and mine understand that :eek: I forgot about Reef Savvy. I have never seen one but I have only heard great things. We have a guy locally who has been waiting close to a year for his now though. Can you get a Planet Aquarium replacement? They custom build but they also have a supply of stock tanks at LFS's. Call around and you might find one. Otherwise, in your shoes, Id probably grab an Aqueon tank to hold you over while you wait on a custom build unit. Sucks, but it beats no tank.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and as far as Glass Cages goes, keep looking for anything recent. I made the off the cuff comment that if you look around far enough you will find pretty much all of them has had a dark period. Perhaps the current tanks from Glass Cages are just fine. It really comes down to the builder, and they change jobs just like the rest of us.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I saved you ;) I'll take a look at your thread. It sucks but its good to keep all these notes in our head. You never know in this hobby when you will need your next tank. Both your wife and mine understand that :eek: I forgot about Reef Savvy. I have never seen one but I have only heard great things. We have a guy locally who has been waiting close to a year for his now though. Can you get a Planet Aquarium replacement? They custom build but they also have a supply of stock tanks at LFS's. Call around and you might find one. Otherwise, in your shoes, Id probably grab an Aqueon tank to hold you over while you wait on a custom build unit. Sucks, but it beats no tank.

I have my first warranty marinecrap tank and thinking about tearing it apart and redoing the seal and adding a eurobrace on top and a full panel on the bottom. I keep seeing the distance of the panels apart from each other is the width of a toothpick. I called ASI sealant and they could not or would not tell me the shear strength reduction based on distance apart from a pair of panels. Nothing like educated guessing and anecdotal evidence.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't blame ASI honestly. Once you introduce a gap, its not 100% shear anymore but rather a combination of shear and tension and the percent contribution of each is a function of that gap size. You instead have to look at the pull strength and factor in the elasticity of the silicone and they may not want to provide or probably cannot guarantee it. Really disappointing to hear. I actually broke my first Marineland tank before it got wet an they swapped it out. Specifically I did not break it, but I noticed a crack between the bulkhead drill holes when I started plumbing it. When the replacement tank came in, I went over very carefully and looked at everything. No gaps, no cracks and everything was nice and square.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to planet aquariums and glass cages websites, I don't see anywhere to get a quote on a tank I'd like built. I guess Glass Cages has a more generic gmail address I could try, but how do you get quotes from these companies? Planet Aquariums does not even have an email address or phone number - confused how this process works.

For the record I just want a drop-off 50-55g tank. Don't have any specifics more than that right now, just trying to see if it would be in the realm of affordability vs just a rectangular tank.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to planet aquariums and glass cages websites, I don't see anywhere to get a quote on a tank I'd like built. I guess Glass Cages has a more generic gmail address I could try, but how do you get quotes from these companies? Planet Aquariums does not even have an email address or phone number - confused how this process works.

For the record I just want a drop-off 50-55g tank. Don't have any specifics more than that right now, just trying to see if it would be in the realm of affordability vs just a rectangular tank.
Planet Aquariums
Manufacturer in Arlington, Texas

Address: 623 107th St, Arlington, TX 76011

Phone: (214) 275-3958

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back