Cycle needed?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visual ques mean nothing to chemistry.
Come again? So you saying, that if a tank has coralline, micro brittle stars, Copepods and other signs if life, that has no weight in whether or not parameters are safe? That makes no sense. Think about it. If you have Coralline, alk is stable and there is no ammonia, if you have pods, obviously there isnt ammonia, same with other critters.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only accept cycling chemistry when it reports via seneye. If chemistry is api ammonia, then only visual biology is of any use for cyclers.

cant deny writing style draws out comfort zones... it’s not meant to lose friends online it’s meant to spurn thought and promote hearty challenge. What fun is reefing if we arent challenging norms, efficiencies, offensive memes etc.

eventually though work links beat all forms of typed opinions. Opinions don’t require accountability but a failed work thread is pages of dead tanks. Pages of living tanks means we might be seeing valid science, be weary of any debate where opinions don’t match work thread patterns.

Consider the ratio of opinions to work threads here so far, it’s only page two

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never said anything about using API, even I know they are junk.

Visual ques being some algae on a rock. Of course if there are living things in the tank its finished cycling. Any moron should know that.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a very ignorant statement. Just shows how much you aren’t willing to learn and just want to stay with the norm.
No hes back on my ignore list because he just regurgitates the same thing in every thread. I;m certainly not ignorant and have done his rip cleans several times, Bacteria doesn't die from being out of water for a few hours.

Maybe I'm just not expressing myself in the most elequint manor or wording? Or you just not reading what I'm typing? But we are all basically saying the same thing. Where I don't agree with him is the dry rock, dry sand, bottle bacteria, and it's done. You still have to see if the bacteria in the bottle actually lived to reproduce.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never said anything about using API, even I know they are junk.

Visual ques being some algae on a rock. Of course if there are living things in the tank its finished cycling. Any moron should know that.
But even algae proves there is no ammonia present! Living things can’t thrive in ammonia. Ever notice how in new dry rock setups, diatoms and GHA ONLY show up once the tank is cycled. So yes, algae does prove that.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hes back on my ignore list because he just regurgitates the same thing in every thread. I;m certainly not ignorant and have done his rip cleans several times, Bacteria doesn't die from being out of water for a few hours.

Maybe I'm just not expressing myself in the most elequint manor or wording? Or you just not reading what I'm typing? But we are all basically saying the same thing. Where I don't agree with him is the dry rock, dry sand, bottle bacteria, and it's done. You still have to see if the bacteria in the bottle actually lived to reproduce.
I can see we won’t agree...

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer I agree test ammonia on dry rock works before proceeding.

what if I told you Ike’s dry rock skip cycle thread scared me initially lol I thought he was cra / huge anemone

then it worked, revealed my own comfort zones I thought didn’t exist, and I’ve already messaged him all this lol we laughed

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But even algae proves there is no ammonia present! Living things can’t thrive in ammonia. Ever notice how in new dry rock setups, diatoms and GHA ONLY show up once the tank is cycled. So yes, algae does prove that.
You do know algae can uptake ammonia directly? So no I would not consider a little fuzz on dry rock a completed cycle. Actual long GHA or some turf, sure it's cycled and no need to test.

With actual live rock, I will agree a cycle probably won't happen as the bacteria as long as they are kept wet, take a very long time to die off.

See we can agree sometimes. :D

Homer I agree test ammonia on dry rock works before proceeding.

what if I told you Ike’s dry rock skip cycle thread scared me initially lol I thought he was cra

then it worked and I’ve already messaged him all this lol.
No I didn't put you on ignore because I actually find some of your stuff interesting and I'm always up for more learning. I just find most of your posts regurgitate the same thing, and that annoys me to no end, but thats my issue not yours. Again sorry if I came off like a *****.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all fairness doesn’t a post asking if live rocks need to be recycled completely warrant the info, rehashed from the last post asking it
(reflects the differences of forum-taught cycling vs convention cycling in my opinion, no cycle authors or bottle bac salesmen acknowledge systems that show up ready, not needing more $ bac)

especially when all the replies indicated it might not work...quorum was asking for it by starting with doubt, where certainty exists.

how good does it feel to know cycles can’t stall, or become undone now? That’s such a freeing notion in my opinion...it gives reef confidence which saves money and animals

our whole cycle science is built on doubt of cycle ability

Bottle bac makers who tell us nitrite can stall a cycle are making tens of thousands of dollars on the very doubt this thread carried from post 2 onward. No seneye readings are present here, therefore nobody had a cycle with transferred live rock.

Last edited:

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all fairness doesn’t a post asking if live rocks need to be recycled completely warrant the info, rehashed from the last post asking it
(reflects the differences of forum-taught cycling vs convention cycling in my opinion)

all claims in reefing should be fact checked agreed... one reason I appreciate this forum is freedom to evaluate and press against nonstandard practices. I think one day someone will have cycling bac + a tester already on the bottle showing they’re alive in some way...end result being confirmed cycle right out of the bottle even without ammonia verification. We r on a fast track in the hobby that’s for sure
Yes, it 100% warrants the info. And not sure why he is accusing you of regurgitating it. It is your proof and evidence. At least you aren’t pulling facts from nowhere lol

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap.....didn’t mean to start a s-storm. Is a pic btw. I’m on a holding pattern now anyway....had a leak in my return line....need to get that repaired 1st.

image.jpg image.jpg

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap.....didn’t mean to start a s-storm. Is a pic btw. I’m on a holding pattern now anyway....had a leak in my return line....need to get that repaired 1st.

image.jpg image.jpg
Lol, and yes, you have coralline and other algaes , you are cycled, where did your rock from? Also, shine a red light on the tank at night and you might see some awesome critters :)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read all of the nonsense posts so maybe somebody already said this but with all established live rock you shouldn't expect a cycle. But where did you get the live sand? If it was bagged "live sand" from the store then it is full of dead stuff and will cause a cycle.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read all of the nonsense posts so maybe somebody already said this but with all established live rock you shouldn't expect a cycle. But where did you get the live sand? If it was bagged "live sand" from the store then it is full of dead stuff and will cause a cycle.

Potentially, but for the most part, the bacteria in the sand and on the rock will uptake any ammonia present within hours.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LR was from a breakdown (I know....maybe I’ll get lucky), and the sand is the ocean direct live sand. I have already seen an asterina star and some pods.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially, but for the most part, the bacteria in the sand and on the rock will uptake any ammonia present within hours.

Your probably right but that looks like alot of live sand. I just think that stuff is the biggest scam and full of so much garbage.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way I have to wait a bit, I don’t have bulbs yet for my fixture. Going 6 bulb T5, can’t decide on bulb combo yet and not to mention $$. I’ve been slowly buying parts when I find good deals since last May.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back