Cycle question.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve learned something today;
first BB tank with an NSA aqua scape so I know it’s minimal so I’ve added a large Xport block.
I added cleanse and one and only and the ammonia. Tested daily then added the second round of ammonia. Tanks been sitting around 5-6 weeks and using Red Sea still reads ammonia reads 2, nitrites 5 and nitrate 2 so is this cycle cooked? Can I add biospira/microbacter to get this going again. I know it’s a time thing just never dealt with this before.

Attachments

• 4EC36487-46D1-4B34-91CB-8643ABE57E34.jpeg
    4EC36487-46D1-4B34-91CB-8643ABE57E34.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 30

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve learned something today;

But is it true?

Only some ammonia removers are acids.

" It is non-acidic and will not impact pH. "

The other main ammonia reducing chemical is aminomethanesulfonate, as in Amquel. It can be acidic or not depending on how it is formulated, and Kordon sells several versions, one of which is acidic and two of which are not.

"Use caution when adding liquid AmQuel to water that has a poor buffer reserve (as indicated by problems maintaining a stable pH). Using AmQuel in these conditions can cause a sudden lowering of pH. To prevent a pH drop, use either Kordon's AmQuel Plus Buffers (which is regular AmQuel with buffers added to stabilize the pH from fluctuating), or AmQuel Plus.(which does not change the pH of the water)"

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is it true?

Only some ammonia removers are acids.

" It is non-acidic and will not impact pH. "

The other main ammonia reducing chemical is aminomethanesulfonate, as in Amquel. It can be acidic or not depending on how it is formulated, and Kordon sells several versions, one of which is acidic and two of which are not.

"Use caution when adding liquid AmQuel to water that has a poor buffer reserve (as indicated by problems maintaining a stable pH). Using AmQuel in these conditions can cause a sudden lowering of pH. To prevent a pH drop, use either Kordon's AmQuel Plus Buffers (which is regular AmQuel with buffers added to stabilize the pH from fluctuating), or AmQuel Plus.(which does not change the pH of the water)"
If chemists don’t know, I’ve got no bloody chance of knowing fact from fiction, lol. I find it odd that the particular chemical in question, “Dr Tim’s Aquacleanse” has a specific warning against overdosing, in particular it’s negative relationship with nitrifying bacteria in tank cycles, which I’ve not seen before. I’m assuming this is the correct product mentioned by the OP, but I’ve never heard of it before.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If chemists don’t know, I’ve got no bloody chance of knowing fact from fiction, lol. I find it odd that the particular chemical in question, “Dr Tim’s Aquacleanse” has a specific warning against overdosing, in particular it’s negative relationship with nitrifying bacteria in tank cycles, which I’ve not seen before. I’m assuming this is the correct product mentioned by the OP, but I’ve never heard of it before.

I expect the pH comment relates more to freshwater systems than highly buffered seawater.

I would not be surprised if the product is hydroxymethanesulfonate, and would not be surprised if the product with ammonia, aminomethanesulfonate, is not used well by bacteria. :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely this tank is in use by now? We're about to add more upgrade stock into the twin tank study linked prior here in comparison

With one big water change this tank would have been ready for stocking on January 15th

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back